Merlin OVPN Client leaks DNS requests

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

nottryingtobelame

New Around Here
Hello all, new here so if I'm in the wrong place, please point me in the right direction.

I recently flashed my RT-AC87U with 384.13_2. I imported an .ovpn file, setup the client, and connected to the VPN successfully. However, ipleak.net and dnsleaktest.com both show that there is a clear DNS leak.

I tried to set "dhcp-option DNS 10.x.x.1" but it made no difference. I saw another post suggesting that a time synchronization issue was causing that poster's DNS leaks (not sure how). I have ensured that my time zone is set correctly, and it is setup with 2 NTP servers. Looking at the system logs, the time appears to be correct.

Any information is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Edit to add/clarify: the same .ovpn file was known to be working on the Asus stock firmware without leaks.

Makaveli

Very Senior Member
Hello all, new here so if I'm in the wrong place, please point me in the right direction.

I recently flashed my RT-AC87U with 384.13_2. I imported an .ovpn file, setup the client, and connected to the VPN successfully. However, ipleak.net and dnsleaktest.com both show that there is a clear DNS leak.

I tried to set "dhcp-option DNS 10.x.x.1" but it made no difference. I saw another post suggesting that a time synchronization issue was causing that poster's DNS leaks (not sure how). I have ensured that my time zone is set correctly, and it is setup with 2 NTP servers. Looking at the system logs, the time appears to be correct.

Any information is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Edit to add/clarify: the same .ovpn file was known to be working on the Asus stock firmware without leaks.
What is Accept DNS Configuration set to in the openvpn client tab?