What's new

Merlin Please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IHazAQuestion

Occasional Visitor
Hello Merlin (and other potential gurus),

Long time fan. I've used your firmware since I purchased my router (N66U) B1. You've been a wonderful help in the past. Hopefully you can assist yet again. I know this router is virtually impossible to brick from what I've been reading, but nothing seems to work. Below you'll find a breakdown of what I tried in order.

I attempted to update my firmware.

Previous Version: _270.24
New Version: 372.32_beta3

I clicked "Factory Defaults" within the router GUI, router performed countdown, rebooted, everything was reset.

I tried to upload firmware through ASUS utility that I downloaded today from ASUS. It said the router is not in recovery mode. It wasn't.

Power down, hold reset for 5. Power up still holding reset. Router power light blinks slowly.

I tried to upload firmware through ASUS utility (372.32_beta3). Utility said router not in recovery mode. Should be, light is blinking slow.

Router power light is still blinking.

Normal reboot. Router power light still blinking.

I tried to upload firmware (372.32_beta3) through ASUS utility, since light is blinking. Utility said router not in recovery mode, despite the fact that the power light is blinking

Ping the router. Success. Yeah!

Navigate to 192.168.1.1, I see CFE utility. Select NVRAM. Watch router for 2 mins. Router seems unaffected. Select Reboot. Router does not reboot. Router power light is still blinking.

Search Google. This has occurred to a select few people. Most give up unsuccessfully. I'm worried. I Google some more and follow your instructions: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10866&highlight=bricked+n66u

Here's the whole recommended method for recovery that I use myself in case of problem:

To reset the router settings:

1) Turn the router off
2) Unplug modem and every computers from ther outer except for one single computer
3) Press the WPS button, and keep it pressed
4) Turn the router on
5) Wait 10 seconds, then release the WPS button
6) Wait about 10 seconds, then turn it off

For the recovery flash:

1) Start the Firmware Recovery tool on your computer. Select the file, then click on Upload. It will start looking for the router.
2) Press the reset button, and while it's pressed turn the router back on
3) Give it about 20 seconds - the Recovery tool should then detect the router, and start uploading the firmware. (Utility said router not in recovery mode.)

Router still blinking. Uh Oh.

Ping router. Success. Yeah!

Browse to 192.168.1.1 See CFE. Yeah!

Pull out ASUS CD. Try Recovering via CD.

"Two or more Wired Connections are Detected" Really worried because it is connected *only* to a single computer with static IP of 192.168.1.3

Reboot.

Try Recovering via CD again. "Two or more Wired Connections are Detected". Stay calm. Breathe

Try Merlin steps again. Router still blinking. Sigh.

Pull out old DLINK router in meantime. Contact Merlin.

At this point. Nothing but power is connected. Router still blinking.

Unfortunately I have to leave for class right now. As soon as I return (few hours), assuming you have had time to respond, I will try everything you suggest. I know this router is supposed to be virtually unbrickable, but it seems like the few people that have encountered this, have never recovered. Hopefully you and I can make me the exception.

Thanks in advance for your time.