What's new

Merlin side menu is garbled, reboot does not fix it.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daxx123

Occasional Visitor
Not sure what happened here. It was working last night, this morning the webgui was locked up. I tried 'service restart_httpd' and that didn't work, so I had to reboot the AC86U router. Once it rebooted and I was able to log in, the side menu is garbled with extra text.

Anyone know what is going on there and how to fix this?

menu1.JPG
menu2.JPG

What web browser? What firmware version? As a troubleshooting step. Have you tried a different web browser? Have you disabled all web browser add-on's/extensions?

You can refresh the browser. Hit Control + F5 on your keyboard!

Firmware version 386.7_2

Did a factory reset because I'm having other random issues with frequent webgui lock ups, with the last webgui lockup not even fixed by a reboot, crashed shortly after login. Seems like most of this started when I installed a 2.0 USB with swap file for entware and other addons. I had Diversion, Skynet, FlexQoS, and Unbound addons loaded. My router memory was 98% used, don't know if that's and issue or not. After factory reset memory is back to 55% used.

This time around I'll take some notes on my setup and addons in case the problem returns. Maybe I can figure out what caused it before?

Using some custom scripts will replace built-in GUI functionality. Clearing the browser cache or using CTRL + F5 will reload the current page and fix any issues!

Clearing your cache typically solves this issue... or CTRL-F5

Gotta love simultaneous posts, @Kingp1n! :)

But what about the webgui lockups and not being able to log into the webgui? Surely CTRL+F5 doesn't fix all that? After the factory reset, my RAM usage was 55%, but the second I created a swap file on the USB, RAM usage went up to 95%. I haven't even installed any addons yet. Is that normal? I unmounted the USB, removed it, reboot the router, and RAM usage is back down to 55%.

At least it's not doing this :

post.gif

Seems like most of this started when I installed a 2.0 USB with swap file for entware and other addons. I had Diversion, Skynet, FlexQoS, and Unbound addons loaded.
Couple of suggestions. If the GUI corruption only happens after installing add-ons that points to a problem with the addons. Try doing a hard factory reset if you haven't done so already. One suggestion often made around here is leaving the router alone for a while after a reset to let the router settle down. Try doing the same after installing the addon's. Leave the router alone for a while, could be the router needs time to finish processing all the new scripts. Sometimes a simple router reboot will fix the issue of the memory being consumed after adding a USB storage device for the swap file. Try using a larger swap file (even try the maximum size) if using the recommended 2GB swap file.

Couple of suggestions. If the GUI corruption only happens after installing add-ons that points to a problem with the addons. Try doing a hard factory reset if you haven't done so already. One suggestion often made around here is leaving the router alone for a while after a reset to let the router settle down. Try doing the same after installing the addon's. Leave the router alone for a while, could be the router needs time to finish processing all the new scripts. Sometimes a simple router reboot will fix the issue of the memory being consumed after adding a USB storage device for the swap file. Try using a larger swap file (even try the maximum size) if using the recommended 2GB swap file.
Did hard factory reset. Created the max size swap file. Installed Diversion, Unbound, and FlexQoS. Will just let it settle and run like that for a while before adding anything else. Thanks!