What's new

Merlin Support on 4G-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boris4G

New Around Here
The copper wired networking is slowly closing down here in Sweden and and the 4G and coming 5G networks are giving decent throughput, so on many places the 4G-wifi routers make sense, and I bought one. The stock firmware is rather limited and I would love to give Merlin a chance (I don't see DD-WRT supporting it), but I don't see any indications that it is supported and thereof the question.

Does current Merlin firmware support Asus 4G-AC86U router?
If not, is there any plan to support it in future and what is being done for routers with 4G and 5G?

Does current Merlin firmware support Asus 4G-AC86U router?
If not, is there any plan to support it in future and what is being done for routers with 4G and 5G?
See the Asus-Merlin website's About page (https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about) for the list of supported routers. If the router isn't list there then it's not supported.

As to the question of "will you support xyz router" that is repeatedly asked so often that RMerlin had to address it both in the [FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question subforum sticky/pinned/tacked thread, in post #3.
Q: Will you add support for model XYZ?
A: The decision whether or not to support a new model depend on a long list of factors, which may evolve over time. Right now:

- It needs to be Broadcom-based
- It needs to be widely available (not just in two or three countries)
- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM
- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated
- I need to have one
- I need to have the time to try supporting it
- I need to have the motivation to try supporting it

Each new model requires its own dedicated support. That means every time I work on a new firmware release, I have to work on each separate model, and I need GPL releases from Asus for each individual model, and I need to merge each of them separately. So that means if I support 10 different routers, then I need to merge in the content of 10 different GPL releases, and these need to be close enough to one another to still be compatible. The more models I support, the harder this is to accomplish, therefore I am VERY conservative regarding adding any new model.

So don't ask if/when a new model will be supported. I cannot speculate about future model support, and until I have working support for a model, I cannot answer that question.
And over in the Asus-Merlin Wiki FAQ section:
Q: Will you support router "RT-xXX" from Asus?
A: Most likely not. Without having an actual router to test with, building a firmware that people would flash without me having at least confirmed it can be flashed at all would be far too risky.

Last edited:
Asus 4G-AC86U

Good chance this router is not Broadcom based - 128MB flash, 512MB RAM, no Turbo/Nitro-QAM (Broadcom specific) and 382 branch firmware. The built-in 4G/LTE modem has one firmware, the router part another. I strongly believe chances for any 3rd party firmware for this device are solid Zero.

you made few mistake buying your 4G router as before doing it you should ask on forum what will be good choice for you explaining what are your needs, how you want to use it

the best you can do now (excluding to sell it) put 4G-AC86U to bridge mode (I hope it is supported for this one) and connect to router that have RMerlin support

put 4G-AC86U to bridge mode

This is an expensive router ($250 on Amazon Sweden) and makes no sense using it as modem only. I would return it and use ISP provided modem with better popular router like RT-AX86U ($285 on Amazon Sweden). Unfortunately, I don't see the newer model RT-AX86U Pro available yet.

Last edited:
you made few mistake buying your 4G router as before doing it you should ask on forum what will be good choice for you explaining what are your needs, how you want to use it

the best you can do now (excluding to sell it) put 4G-AC86U to bridge mode (I hope it is supported for this one) and connect to router that have RMerlin support
Buy a decent router and use Teltonika TRB140 instead. Much better solution. If you want dual wan failover is there cheap unit to use/buy. There is Bridge/Passthrough mode.

ISP provided one with support and guaranteed compatibility is better, @octopus. If it doesn't work - call the ISP. With your own - you have to figure it out. The ISP may provide 5G modem if they have 5G coverage in the area. This 4G router or modem may be limiting the service.

ISP provided one with support and guaranteed compatibility is better, @octopus. If it doesn't work - call the ISP. With your own - you have to figure it out. The ISP may provide 5G modem if they have 5G coverage in the area. This 4G router or modem may be limiting the service.
I don't see any problem just insert the SIM card and connect. If you are going to have a 5G modem, you will have to pay four times as much.
Many ISPs do not have support for LTE, so you have to take someone else. Mine supports extra data cards where I can use my entire surfpot.

I'm sure it's a good 4G modem, but I don't know what's available to @Boris4G in Sweden. He is asking about 4G and 5G routers for coming 5G networks.

Teltonika TRB140 + RT-AX86U Pro

:)
I have tried last time the fiber technician had of the fiber in the coupling cabinet