What's new

Merlin to DD-WRT to Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Polara

New Around Here
I am currently running Merlin 380.57 on my RT-AC68U. I would like to try DD-WRT. Can I simply flash the .trx file from within Merlin to make the switch? And can I do the same to flip back to Merlin?

I am currently running Merlin 380.57 on my RT-AC68U. I would like to try DD-WRT. Can I simply flash the .trx file from within Merlin to make the switch? And can I do the same to flip back to Merlin?

In a nutshell, yes.

But DD-WRT has additional risks that staying within Asus or RMerlin forks don't; they can brick your router (going to it or from it).

Don't do it. Don't even think about doing it. With no disrespect to the very talented people who voluntarily developed DD-WRT, think of it as wanting to move to a dirt cheap tablet after having owned the latest Apple iPad.

Ddwrt is only good for old routers, which doesn't have manufactures support anymore.
I would never flash my asus router with ddwrt, stock or merlins fw is much better.

Flashing to and from DD-WRT is always tricky, and tends to work differently for every router models. I recommend you check the proper procedure on the DD-WRT Wiki. For all intent and purposes, consider Asuswrt-Merlin as being the same as if you were running the stock Asus firmware.

My router did not like being flashed back to Asus or Asus Merlin firmware from DD-WRT. Make sure you know how to use the recovery procedure before you do anything.

Oh and be real patient on reboots after switching firmwares, give it a good 10 minutes to finish if you can't access any web ui's when it says they are done. Especially if switch between say asus and DD-WRT firmwares as the NVram also has to be erased and set to defaults of the new firmware by the new firmware too.

Ddwrt is only good for old routers, which doesn't have manufactures support anymore.
I would never flash my asus router with ddwrt, stock or merlins fw is much better.

As a general statement, and from personal experience I have to totally disagree with the above. I've used dd-wrt on a Netgear R7000 and a Linksys WRT1900AC, and had excellent results. I've not used dd-wrt on my Asus router, because I find RMerlin's firmware just fine. But a lot of stock firmware leaves you with few if any tools for looking at your home network, checking usage, and finding and fixing issues that are causing problems on your network.

On the other hand, I have no reason to go to dd-wrt for the Asus RT-AC68P, RMerlin's firmware serves me well, and has the tools that I need to watch usage, and fix problems.

Oh, and comparing a router using dd-wrt firmware to a crappy tablet does show disrespect for the work that the dd-wrt developers do. I can't agree with that either, I'm hoping that it was hyperbole.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Don't even think about doing it. With no disrespect to the very talented people who voluntarily developed DD-WRT, think of it as wanting to move to a dirt cheap tablet after having owned the latest Apple iPad.

That is completely wrong and is disrespecting DD-WRT developers, if you had a clue what DD-WRT is capable of and how much work is involved in maintaining a completely custom firmware you would not say what you just did!

DD-WRT is a fantastic firmware that works on modern as well as old routers. For most people it has some config pages and settings that baffle the mind. Most technical people do fine with it as long as they stick to configuring stuff that they understand or are willing to learn.

DD-WRT is designed to give the most functionality possible, it does have some disadvantages. As long as you are willing to do research on how to install it and use it you will be fine. It is a very good firmware, if you do your homework.

I have DD-WRT running on rt-n66, and had it running for a very long time on WRT55G and WRT55GS
I have merlins latest running on AC68.

Each firmware has a different purpose (different tool for different job) and both are much better than oem.

only prob w/ddwrt was finding the latest stable fw for a particular router. lots of initial research required .
i myself either use rmerlins or tomato by shibby or toastman

That is completely wrong and is disrespecting DD-WRT developers, if you had a clue what DD-WRT is capable of and how much work is involved in maintaining a completely custom firmware you would not say what you just did!

DD-WRT is a fantastic firmware that works on modern as well as old routers. For most people it has some config pages and settings that baffle the mind. Most technical people do fine with it as long as they stick to configuring stuff that they understand or are willing to learn.

DD-WRT is designed to give the most functionality possible, it does have some disadvantages. As long as you are willing to do research on how to install it and use it you will be fine. It is a very good firmware, if you do your homework.

I have DD-WRT running on rt-n66, and had it running for a very long time on WRT55G and WRT55GS
I have merlins latest running on AC68.

Each firmware has a different purpose (different tool for different job) and both are much better than oem.

As I said it was not my intention to show "disrespect to the very talented people who voluntarily developed DD-WRT". I run a DD-WRT wireless AP at home on an old Linksys, and a couple of weeks ago I set up another old Linksys running DD-WRT as a wireless range extender for a relative. Prior to my buying an Asus I ran DD-WRT for several years on my old Linksys.

But the reason I wrote what I did - and I won't be drawn into a mud-slinging match on this - is that I believe DD-WRT' has had its day and is also let down badly on documentation. That's why my coming to Merlin was like a breath of fresh air: I now have unreserved confidence in the control of both the firmware and the supporting documentation.

As I said it was not my intention to show "disrespect to the very talented people who voluntarily developed DD-WRT". I run a DD-WRT wireless AP at home on an old Linksys, and a couple of weeks ago I set up another old Linksys running DD-WRT as a wireless range extender for a relative. Prior to my buying an Asus I ran DD-WRT for several years on my old Linksys.

But the reason I wrote what I did - and I won't be drawn into a mud-slinging match on this - is that I believe DD-WRT' has had its day and is also let down badly on documentation. That's why my coming to Merlin was like a breath of fresh air: I now have unreserved confidence in the control of both the firmware and the supporting documentation.

I'm not slinging mud at anyone (unless calling someone disrespectful is mud-slinging *smile*), just relating my experiences. Right at the moment, I'm using Kong's latest dd-wrt on my R7000, and it is working really well. So I can't agree that dd-wrt has "had it's day", since dd-wrt supports later routers than the R7000 as well. However, you're free to have your opinion, I just want forum readers to know that there are other, reality-based opinions as well *smile*.

Glad you're enjoying RMerlin's firmware, I also enjoy it.