What's new

Merlin upgrade 380.69 to 384.5 - lose remote connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tigerdog

Occasional Visitor
I currently run an OpenVPN between two ASUS routers (AC87U and AC68U) both on Merlin 380.69.
If I update one end to 384.5 or .6, do a default reset as Merlin suggests, then reconfigure the VPN as it was, will the remote still connect, or will the default reset cause a change of cypher/key/etc such that the remote won't connect until new information is entered?

The far end is currently unattended; I don't want to lose contact until I can dispatch a human to the other side.

A default reset will erase your whole configuration.

A default reset will erase your whole configuration.
Understood. The question is, if I rebuild the VPN configuration as it was before the reset, will the remote still connect, or will a new OpenVPN config have to be exported and loaded on the remote device?

Understood. The question is, if I rebuild the VPN configuration as it was before the reset, will the remote still connect, or will a new OpenVPN config have to be exported and loaded on the remote device?

The same config should generally work.

I still strongly advise against doing any kind of unassisted firmware upgrade, especially as you are moving from 380.xx to 384.xx. This is a major jump.