What's new

Merlin v Stock AC-3100 OpenVPN Performance On ExpressVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tului

Occasional Visitor
Does RMerlin support faster crypto and/or newer OpenVPN? Maybe hardware acceleration that stock doesn't?

If not on the 3100 model, which model would support the fastest OpenVPN speeds either raw CPU or hardware acceleration(stock or RMerlin)? I have 500Mbps fiber but only get 30Mbps and I've tried all 5 Express Los Angeles servers as well as several other cities further away, it varies withing 25-30Mbps and I get 50ms more ping anywhere outside LA

edit - Do they and the router support no encryption or lesser 128 bit AES so I can maybe squeeze more speed out? I don't need the encryption, just the GEOIP to be different.

Have a look here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/page-11#post-439130

RMerlin says that only the newer chipsets support hardware accelerates AES.
The OpenVPN version is typically a later revision in the Merlin software vs Stock though.
I just said screw it and put the ExpressVPN client on my Windows 10 machine. It's got the Ryzen 9 4900HS and I pull 290Mbps easily. The other devices that use the router VPN aren't as sensitive to speed

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!