What's new

Merlin VPN clients 2 thru 5 have no Internet unless turning on client 1 afterwards.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TLITD

New Around Here
Hope my title wasn't too confusing but here is what is going on. I'm using the latest Merlin FW 384.5 and have an ASUS RT-AC68U. When I upgraded from 380.xx to 384.xx I did the factory reset. I've set up all 5 VPN clients and I use NordVPN and/or Mullvad VPN.

For scenario 1 I will be using NordVPN clients only. When I turn on VPN client 1 it connects and Internet works fine, however if I turn off client 1 and turn on client 2 the VPN connects but there is no Internet even though it says connected in Merlin. If I then turn on client 1 (client 2 is still on), client 1 will connect but then client 2's Internet will come to life, I can repeat this for each client (3 thru 5) but they will only get Internet if I turn on client 1 after I turn one of them on first. Is this normal?

For scenario 2, VPN client 1 is set up to use NordVPN and client 2 is set up for Mullvad. I turn on client 2 and it connects but no Internet so, like in scenario 1, I turn on client 1 but instead of client 2's Internet coming to life, client 1 connects with Internet, so it doesn't work the same as in scenario 1. Is there a way I can fix this?

Any suggestions and/or comments appreciated.

When I turn on VPN client 1 it connects and Internet works fine, however if I turn off client 1 and turn on client 2 the VPN connects but there is no Internet even though it says connected in Merlin.

Do you have 'Block routed clients if tunnel goes down=YES' for VPN Client 1?

If not, you could try this script ChkVPNConfig

Yes, I do have 'Block routed clients if tunnel goes down=YES' for all 5 VPN clients. Thank you very much for pointing that out as that was the cause of my issue. I tested it and if I keep only the active VPN connection set to 'block routed clients if tunnel goes down' then it connects with Internet. Thanks again for your help!

Yes, I do have 'Block routed clients if tunnel goes down=YES' for all 5 VPN clients. Thank you very much for pointing that out as that was the cause of my issue. I tested it and if I keep only the active VPN connection set to 'block routed clients if tunnel goes down' then it connects with Internet. Thanks again for your help!

FYI Confused as to how to make the kill switch work

I have observed behavior with another VPN provider, who allows 5 simultaneous connections, consistent with scenario 1 described by OP.
Connecting two VPN clients in the router to two different country servers with same provider, but only one connection was allowing traffic through. Then I noticed the same remote IP address was being provided by the VPN server to each client, which I believe then created a local routing conflict.
It could be coincidental if the remote IP of the two VPN providers you are using have similar server's IP settings.

I have observed behavior with another VPN provider, who allows 5 simultaneous connections, consistent with scenario 1 described by OP.
Connecting two VPN clients in the router to two different country servers with same provider, but only one connection was allowing traffic through. Then I noticed the same remote IP address was being provided by the VPN server to each client, which I believe then created a local routing conflict.
It could be coincidental if the remote IP of the two VPN providers you are using have similar server's IP settings.

The problem is more likely that the two clients are trying to use the same port and not the server. With PIA I can have two clients running to the same server however the first is on Port 1198 and the second Port 1197.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!