What's new

Merlin VPN Policy rule - Netflix Chromecast question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arkhane

Occasional Visitor
Hello.

This is not Merlin directly related question but you may provide me some good hint...

I had installed Merlin some few days ago mainly to do split tunneling (policy rule) which work perfeclty.

Before doing it I was using the regular asuswrt and ovpn. Doing so sometimes Netflix from a smartphone or PC chromecasted to the TV was crying us that we were using a VPN...it was not completely blocking it but had to restart a few times the video....

Now that I can use policy rule on which device would you recommend me to make a rule to exclude it from the VPN? The chromecast device only ? The smartphone (only) from which one Netflix is chromecasted to the chromecast device? Both?

Thank you

I believe it's only the actual device doing the streaming that needs to be off the VPN, i.e., the Chromecast device (e.g., TV). The smartphone (using your example) is simply providing a URL to the TV from which it can access the stream. But that's probably NOT sufficient. From my dealings w/ others concerning this problem, it seems Netflix will also balk if it detects its DNS queries being sent over a VPN. And whether that happens depends on how you've configured DNS wrt that device and the VPN. So just something to be aware of.

You can use the x3mRouting add on to create a rule to route all Netflix traffic to WAN or VPN. Some people have a policy rule to route their streaming device to VPN but use x3mRouting to have the Netflix traffic bypass the VPN to WAN to avoid the proxy error. I use it to route Netflix to my dedicated or private VPN to circumvent blocks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!