What's new

Merlin VPN Recommendation & Configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sohaib Sarwar

Occasional Visitor
I have AC86U with latest version of Merlin. I am shopping for VPN and any recommendations would be awesome. Goal is to have all my network go through a VPN and why looking to use third party VPN. I am hoping there is way to add third party VPN on Merlin Openvpn option. Thanks in advance

I have AC86U with latest version of Merlin. I am shopping for VPN and any recommendations would be awesome. Goal is to have all my network go through a VPN and why looking to use third party VPN. I am hoping there is way to add third party VPN on Merlin Openvpn option. Thanks in advance
I use Torguard give me a minute and I'll find a blog post that walks you through Torguard setup on Asuswrt-Merlin.

Interesting....I use NordVPN and I have AES-256-GCM activated in my RT-AC86U (compression disabled) and my speeds are always close to those of ISP.

Was curious though, is ncp-disable something that could work with every VPN provider custom configuration? Obviously, PIA recommends this their setup. I have not tried it in mine but will do so tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as setting 'Cipher negotiation' to Disabled in the gui....

The VPN provider has to enable the CGM ciphers.

Good to know. Thank you @john9527!

I've had good luck with Private Internet Access. They have an ovpn file that you can import into your 86U. I see speeds in the mid 200 Mbps range when using the AES-128-GCM cipher. Make sure to add ncp-disable to the custom config so that the GCM cipher will work.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/guides/routers/merlin/merlin-firmware-openvpn-setup
https://www.privateinternetaccess.c.../what-s-the-difference-between-the-ovpn-files

I just got my subscription for PIA and plan to setup tonight. Will let you know know if I run into any issues. Thanks

I've had good luck with Private Internet Access. They have an ovpn file that you can import into your 86U. I see speeds in the mid 200 Mbps range when using the AES-128-GCM cipher. Make sure to add ncp-disable to the custom config so that the GCM cipher will work.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/guides/routers/merlin/merlin-firmware-openvpn-setup
https://www.privateinternetaccess.c.../what-s-the-difference-between-the-ovpn-files

I followed the instructions and have lost half of my download speed with VPN enabled. I did not import ovpn file and just went with the configuration settings on PIA Merlin setup. Can you please take a look at my settings and provide any feedback to gain my performance back.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20181211_231037.jpg
    20181211_231037.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 862
I followed the instructions and have lost half of my download speed with VPN enabled. I did not import ovpn file and just went with the configuration settings on PIA Merlin setup. Can you please take a look at my settings and provide any feedback to gain my performance back.

Thanks in advance

Your settings look good to me. Can you elaborate on "lost half of my download speed with VPN enabled". Are you saying that your download speeds without the vpn are double what they are with the vpn? That may be normal. What are your download speeds with and without the vpn? And if you are using PIA I would recommend using the newer, faster GCM ciphers.

Your settings look good to me. Can you elaborate on "lost half of my download speed with VPN enabled". Are you saying that your download speeds without the vpn are double what they are with the vpn? That may be normal. What are your download speeds with and without the vpn? And if you are using PIA I would recommend using the newer, faster GCM ciphers.

Yes. My dowadown speed without PIA is 176 and with PIA 66. The only cipher that is working for me is AES 128 CBC. I tried GCM and it won't connect. Even in the instructions they have listed CBC. I noticed you listed that your speed double with GCM

My speed didn't double but did increase around 25%. Did you include "ncp-disable" in custom config? Below are my crypto settings.

upload_2018-12-13_21-8-7.png

Per @john9527 you can leave the ncp-disable out of custom config if you disable the Cipher negotiation like this:

upload_2018-12-13_21-7-46.png

Using this config with the chicago PIA server I'm getting the following:

upload_2018-12-13_21-7-12.png

I'm not sure what happened to PIA's upload speeds. It's been a while since I did a speed test but I used to get upper 200's on upload.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-13_21-7-7.png
    upload_2018-12-13_21-7-7.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 579
Do not put ncp-disable in the custom settings. This should be controlled by the Cipher Negotiation setting, otherwise you will have contradictory settings, with unpredictable end results.

I see that TLS control channel security is Disabled. What does this setting really do as it is not disabled on default settings?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!