What's new

Merlin VPN TAP Server - two clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pej5

Occasional Visitor
I have been running two ASUS Merlin routers with a permanent OpenVPN tunnel using TAP (one Server and one client) for 2+ years now. I know that TAP is not preferred, but I have some older equipment that wants to be on the same LAN segment so the routers are on the same subnet. It has worked very well to monitor one location from the other. I want to add a third site running an ASUS router with a client connection to the same VPN server instance. I duplicated the OpenVPN Client setup in the router with a separate VPN login and password. It connected to the server just fine, but it bumped off the first client router. Once I disconnected the new client, the first client re-connected to the server. I am running 386.9 code on all three RT-AC68U routers.

My first guess is that because it is a tunneled router setup, the Server side can only connect to one client at a time. Can someone confirm that guess. If it is capable of supporting two simultaneous clients, does anyone have any suggested configuration changes

My next step is to configure the second VPN Server instance in the Server/router to be a TAP tunnel.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice you can share.

Peter

Thanks so much. That was the issue. I was searching for TAP issues, not general VPN Server/client issues so I missed this thread.
I had selected "Manage Client Specific options" in the Server advanced setting because of the "Allow client to client" communication. So now both clients connect simultaneously, but I have to work on helping the routers find the clients...at least the devices I want to connect to. I have a couple of ideas.