What's new

Merlin woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sipankh

Regular Contributor
No, the RT-AX86U Pro will come with improved hardware. I don't think Asus has publicly announced the changes yet.

They have at least one other router that will be re-released in a Pro version.
Since your profile shows you are Merlin Dev maybe you can help me.

Ever since 386.4 I have been experiencing major issues with my AX86U and as a desperate last resort, I am contemplating reversal to stock firmware after years of running it. First on AC68U's and now on AX86U. Even replaced AX86U with a new one since the other appeared had hardware issues since no software ie firmware changes gave any positive result so I replacedit for a new one. Nah issues continue. Then I hope 386.7 will finally resolve it all and stabilize this junk, but it has not. Ran from the release date till today and now again tons of problems. The latest issue is that after a few attempts on earlier firmware releases to run AiMesh and failing (tons of various types of errors and issues forcing me to abandon AiMesh), I attempted again. It ran for a few days well and then more issues started from way too many dnsmsq queries to UDB errors to weird indicators how a client is not a AiMesh client and unable to assign IP's address junk etc...then today it solidified my decision by knocking my WAN link up and down few times out of the blue; rebooting and after it stabilized reducing my WAN speed 6 fold making me think it is my provider's issue. After hours of troubleshooting with them, it became clear it is my AX86U router not theirs.

Any ideas? I will be more than happy to pass you a copy of today's syslog for analysis, but there are so many issues I can't even start to list them. Thnx.

Any ideas?

Yes. Open your own thread and describe better the issues you have. AX86U is a popular model here and someone may help you set it up better. Many folks around are using this very same model with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. There are some known AiMesh quirks, but there are workarounds as well.

Since your profile shows you are Merlin Dev maybe you can help me.

Ever since 386.4 I have been experiencing major issues with my AX86U and as a desperate last resort, I am contemplating reversal to stock firmware after years of running it. First on AC68U's and now on AX86U. Even replaced AX86U with a new one since the other appeared had hardware issues since no software ie firmware changes gave any positive result so I replacedit for a new one. Nah issues continue. Then I hope 386.7 will finally resolve it all and stabilize this junk, but it has not. Ran from the release date till today and now again tons of problems. The latest issue is that after a few attempts on earlier firmware releases to run AiMesh and failing (tons of various types of errors and issues forcing me to abandon AiMesh), I attempted again. It ran for a few days well and then more issues started from way too many dnsmsq queries to UDB errors to weird indicators how a client is not a AiMesh client and unable to assign IP's address junk etc...then today it solidified my decision by knocking my WAN link up and down few times out of the blue; rebooting and after it stabilized reducing my WAN speed 6 fold making me think it is my provider's issue. After hours of troubleshooting with them, it became clear it is my AX86U router not theirs.

Any ideas? I will be more than happy to pass you a copy of today's syslog for analysis, but there are so many issues I can't even start to list them. Thnx.
Many have found that the AX86U works better with AiMesh on Asus firmware. However, some run Merlin on the main router and Asus firmware on the nodes. My experience with limited AiMesh testing is that the Asus firmware works better. I, too, have been a long time Merlin user. With the AX86U I have come to the conclusion that I really do not need to run the Merlin firmware. Yes, I have tested Merlin 386.7 with and without Diversion and it worked OK for me. In my present time of life with family and my own health issues I need a router that someone else can manage if I am not here. Thus I have chosen Asus firmware with Auto Upgrade enabled and most settings, especially WIFI, at default.