What's new

merlin-wrt site-to-site openvpn server behind nat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

imergenet

New Around Here
Hi all,
There seems to be a lot of experience out there, and I am hoping someone can assist here. I have done plenty of 'normal' openvpn implementations, but this one has be going in circles.

Situation is :
Remote site:
Dynamic IP - main router is AC68U
Main Site:
Primary router 192.168.1.1 does not support openvpn and the router cannot be changed or put into bridge mode as it supports a proprietary VOIP from our telecom provider. The site-to-site vpn protocols it uses only support static numeric ips, and the remote site is dynamic.

All other business infrastructure is directly connected to the 192.168.1.1 gatway as 192.168.1.0/24

I have added an AC68U behind the existing primary router, for the sole purpose of acting as an openvpn server. What I expected to be able to do was ignore the WAN interface, and have openvpn listen on the LAN interface. The correct port-forwading rules are in place on the primary router, but I can't get an openvpn connection at all in that configuration. So either openvpn is not binding to the LAN i/f or routing rules are killing me.

If I change the AC68U configuration to be 192.168.1.2 on the WAN interface, and (say) 192.168.5.x on the LAN interface (which has no clients) , then the openvpn connects, but it doesn't seem to route any incoming openVPN traffic for 192.168.1.x back out on the WAN interface, so I can't access the main site network.

There is probably a simple trick to this....has anyone hacd success in a similar configuration (without running all network through the secondary router and double-nat etc)?

thanks for reading.