What's new

MerlinWRT - compile instructions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Starbuck99

Occasional Visitor
I am sorry for this request. However, when trying all the compile tutorials, none seem to work.
They are all outdated.
Can someone please post a step by step updated tutorial on how to compile MerlinWRT from source?

These instructions don't work.

Just with the first instruction set, after downloading and installing ubuntu 12.04 LTS, when using the first set of instructions on "Manually prepare the build environment" - the instructions are outdated and the referred packages are not installed.

An updated, correct guide that can be followed by anyone is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks a lot!

Anybody out there willing to help out the community?

I am trying on my own right now and failing miserably. I'd be glad to brainstorm if you'd like help.

@RMerlin - someone should probably clean things up there... there's conflicting info, and much of it might be out of date with current builds.

@RMerlin - someone should probably clean things up there... there's conflicting info, and much of it might be out of date with current builds.

I leave most of the wiki content up to the community. Too much work to maintain all of these pages.

If you’re going to tackle this it’s better to spend efforts to build using docker instead of trying to update the wiki. It will be much simpler for everyone to have repeatable builds that just work. It’s not worth it for RMerlin to work on since he’s pretty much developing solo.

Well, if some of us newbie's would like to play around with the code, it can only be done if we are able to compile it. Isn't there any guru willing to sacrifice a little time to just write a proper guide?
I am pretty sure the whole community will appreciate it.
Especially when we would like to play around with the new builds.
Who knows, the more people are able to compile, the more ideas can flow... and RMerlin wouldn't have to be pretty much solo developing....
Looking forward to a willing guru posting a complete easy to follow guide, that can be duplicated by anyone.
Thanks....

If you’re going to tackle this it’s better to spend efforts to build using docker instead of trying to update the wiki. It will be much simpler for everyone to have repeatable builds that just work. It’s not worth it for RMerlin to work on since he’s pretty much developing solo.

Docker is not really a good choice here because of multiple paths and the like, and for many folks where Linux is not their primary OS, the subtle aspects of getting docker up and running is likely more work than it is worth.

I was thinking about maybe building a VirtualBox box VM image with everything needed, and everything in it's proper place with a reproducible build environment.

Hit "like" if you're interested...

I was thinking about maybe building a VirtualBox box VM image with everything needed, and everything in it's proper place with a reproducible build environment.

there seems to be a bit of interest - legacy or HND?

@RMerlin - might be something of interest here with a VirtualBox image...

And maybe the VM compile DD-WRT too, just in case? :)

I like the VM image suggestion! That would be a great help. Thanks.

Just imagine if we can have a modular system. Not just one system fits all.
Then one can compile just the modules that you want.
The more I think of it, the more I am thinking of a cloud based compiler where the community can compile just what they need.
As an example, by perusing the forums, I see a lot of people focusing on VPN routing.... then others on data management, etc.
Now imagine you have a cloud based modular system and you start off with a base image...
Then you can choose VPN routing to add to it.... (but a routing system that is pre-compiled, hence very simple for a user to set up, without having to know all the intrigues about routing tables, DNS security, multiple IP's for the same DNS etc....)
Or data management - with a Gargoyle type of Cap function as well - or both modules....
Or maybe a gamer optimised image.....
That way, one logs onto a website, tick the functions that you want for your particular router and get an individualised custom firmware compiled which you can download and install.

Older routers with less memory, can also have much more flexibility, since all the modules are compiled, no scripts are running and everybody doesn't need everything.

This way there can be more modules than total memory, because not everybody will need all the modules available at the same time, since needs differ.

Just thought I can throw these thoughts in.....

So if we have more people compiling and playing around in the community, the possibilities are endless - however, we need to be able to compile in the first place... :)

Last edited:

I'm interested in Legacy for my good old N66U :)

I updated, a while ago, some of the wiki instructions when I was able to successfully build an image for the 86u on Ubuntu 64 bit everytime, but for some reason or another recently it errors out every time.

Tried with fresh git clones, installing missing packages, etc but without luck. Couldn't find the reason.

I support the notion of this endeavour and am willing to infuse vast sums of capital in order to build on demand as well as remove modules like LPD , NAS, u2ec and the puppies that infest the asuswrt.

:)

Again, time is a limited resource here. I don't have time to develop such a thing and then provide end-user support for it. My priority is development, not support.

here seems to be a bit of interest - legacy or HND?

It's the same, just need to have both toolchains available (and have |bin|sh symlinked to bash, as Broadcom's SDK is silly and won't work if it points to sh/ash).

You cannot heavily customize a build. Too many precompiled components, these will not work if various settings are changed at the kernel or at the build level. That's why for instance AiMesh cannot be fully disabled at build time, or AiProtection cannot be removed either.

Asuswrt is not designed to be end-user customizable. It's a proprietary product developed in-house by Asus for their specific devices, not an open sourced project like DD-WRT where everyone can customize everything at build time. It just happens to contain lots of open-sourced parts, allowing someone to recompile it, and do some tweaks here and there.

If you need something fully customizable, your only alternative right now is OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

Guys, thanks for the input.
I just threw out some ideas in order to test the water.... if this is not possible with Merlinwrt, then that might be a suggestion for a total new project and as such I totally accept your explanations.

But just to get back to the original headline.... are you guys willing to at least share 2 VM images - if doing a proper write-up on preparing the compiling environment will waste too much of your time?

One VM with the latest legacy and one VM with the latest HND?
I guess that will more than suffice for us novice's to linux and all its tweaks....

Thanks a lot!