What's new

Mesh network with existing RT-AX88U router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evilhomer1

New Around Here
Hi everyone, I've recently built an addition to my house which includes a garage with an office above.

Of course the garage is on the other side of the house from location of the existing RT-AX88U router, which is in the living room.

I'm looking to setup a Mesh network to extend wifi to the other side of the house. It's roughly 60 feet or so to the other side, but there are bedrooms sandwiched in between, so not a straight shot.

Can anyone provide recommendations on the best devices to use?

Thanks in advance.

Did you plan to run an Ethernet cable to the office? That is your best bet to feed an AiMesh node or access point.
As for the mesh node, just about any Asus AX router would be a good choice. AX86S would work well.

I would try finding another AX88U on good price for AiMesh with 2x identical routers. Older model, but still very capable device.

Thanks for the advice.

Has anyone had experience with the ZenWifi XD5 or XD4S?

Would those work? I can get a three pack between $179 to $259.

RT-AX92U is an old tri-radio model with single AX radio originally intended for backhaul only of AC-class "mesh" system. It had a long run of firmware issues and a year long gap in firmware releases. I expect this particular one to be quietly discontinued soon if not already. Retailers tried to sell it in packs, as single units, at huge discount even close to liquidation prices with no much success. It was never a popular model here on SNB Forums.

RT-AX92U is an old tri-radio model with single AX radio originally intended for backhaul only of AC-class "mesh" system. It had a long run of firmware issues and a year long gap in firmware releases. I expect this particular one to be quietly discontinued soon if not already. Retailers tried to sell it in packs, as single units, at huge discount even close to liquidation prices with no much success. It was never a popular model here on SNB Forums.
Thanks so much for the helpful advice.

You mentioned previously that I should just get another AX88U?

Is that my best bet or is there a newer router I should get and add my existing AX88U as a mesh router?

AiMesh works better with the same hardware devices running the same firmware and with Ethernet backhaul.

If you are planning wireless backhaul - 60ft and through many walls may not work. Do your clients see AX88U from this location?

I can connect to the existing router.

Just to baseline, here are my speeds when in the living room, near the router:

2.4 GHz = 95 Mbps
5.0 GHz = 550 Mbps

When I connect from my office, on the opposite side of the house, the speeds drop dramatically (although I can connect to the router)

2.4 GHz = 25 Mbps
5.0 Ghz = Less than 5 Mbps

Folks around will recommend you GT-AX6000, RT-AX86U, RT-AX86U Pro, the new RT-AX88U Pro for main router and RT-AX86S for node as lower cost option... pick one and test your AiMesh luck. Hopefully it works well for you. I would just find another RT-AX88U for 2x identical units regardless of the existence of newer and close price models. I don't like mix and match.

While I realize "popularity contests" on SNB seem to matter, and i mean that non sarcastically, (like specific routers have good strong reputations, but that is not to say that the inverse is true:
Namely that unpopular routers must be therefore poor performers or headaches. The AX92u 2 pack is a steal, and if you dont have many ... if there are more than a handful out... of AXE (end devices, not networking hardware etc)
Just want to give an alternate perspective on the ax92u, i have owned about 10-15 asus routers, of various models and WiFi Versions, and while i do have the 2 pack ax92u, for some setups or homes like mine with brick everywhere the ax92u's 5-2ghz band is extremely effective, and i remember reading ASUS DAVE or (forget the guy's name) on some active customer forums explaining (may have been DONG knows... i like that site... sorry if it isn't respected..)
The ax92u MUST BE set up very carefully if you use merlin especially.
I am currently having an issue where my backhaul USED TO BE 3773 mb/s or 1337 i forget, and now it is capping the wireless dedicated backhaul at 500/500 mb/s (also my xfinity speed test on my GT-AX11000 using merlin was getting capped at 550 mb/s with their 3 in 1 router combo in bridge mode... the speed goes from 1,400 mb/s down to 550 mb/s after 24-48 hours.
Ive read a lot of OzarkEdge (sry if misspelling) posts and have tried to document things as best i can but lost everything in my cloud storage due to a security breach at my old work leaking my social, email pw in plain text and everything known to man / CIA .