What's new

Mesh networks that use ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
I'm successfully running an Asus AIMesh network using ethernet backhaul (I have a cat5e ethernet LAN at home) and it works very well, with (touch wood) no issues so far.

My neighbour asked me to recommend a router so I mentioned the Asus RT-68U but as he doesn't have a VDSL modem (his ISP supplied an all in one hub router) he's bought an Asus DSL-68U with it's built-in VDSL modem. I've factory-reset one of my AIMesh nodes so that the neighbour could try setting up his own ethernet AIMesh but try as we might (after firmware upgrade on the DSL-68), his router simply refused to recognise the AIMesh node, even though connected via a known-working cat6 patch cable.

I've since added the node back to my AIMesh network and it's all fine, which makes me wonder whether the DSL-68 is actually able to use AIMesh?

My neighbour is going to return the DSL-68 so I'm wondering if there's another way of getting a mesh network that uses ethernet backhaul rather than wireless? His home is on three floors and only the ground and second floors need wireless coverage, so a wired backhaul is perfect for his needs.

So my question - other than Asus, which other mesh systems use ethernet backhaul?

why not just get a DSL modem and a separate Asus router + additional as wireless APs ?
Otherwise, just a router + APs should do the trick for typical home setting. No need for "mesh".

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!