1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Mesh networks

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by ng4ever, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ng4ever

ng4ever Regular Contributor

Are mesh networks worth it?

Do you have to get rid of your main router to use a mesh network?

2. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

Do you have clients that support mesh network network first of all?

3. Klueless

Klueless Very Senior Member

Wow ... where to begin : -)
    • Obviously, if you've a "small-ish" apartment/house and getting good coverage with a single wireless router then why bother?
    • If you've reasonable coverage save for one remote corner of the house you might go with an AP or range extender.
    • If you've multiple weak spots then mesh might be for you!
    I don't know for sure but, from what I'm reading, it looks like most mesh systems include the "router". If you were to keep your main router that might complicate the "one button" simplicity mesh providers brag about.

Asus is trying to get people to keep their Asus router with "aimesh". Some like it, others say it ain't ready for prime time.

Myself, I considered mesh briefly when I was upgrading my from my N66U but, at the last minute, I went a Blue Cave (on special). It's cute. Cute enough that my wife let me take it out of the corner and up off of the floor. I now get "whole house" coverage : -)

Taikero likes this.
  4. Taikero

Taikero Occasional Visitor

I think if you're dealing with at least 2,000+ square feet, that may be time to start looking at a mesh system. Under that footage I'd wager that 1-2 routers could handle whatever you need, and the setup to make that work wouldn't be too arduous.