What's new

Mesh or similar help from experienced users please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brjoon1021

Occasional Visitor
Hello good folks of this forum,

I have been going through hell with the *orbi, but sent it back today. Back to the Nighthawk 6700 for the time being. (It can be part of your recommendation, of course)

I need some buying advice for a mesh network or similar to cover my 2600 sf house that is long and shaped like: " [ " - at each end of the house a bedroom that stands in front of the longer main house. It is an older house with really thick walls and many of them so it presents some challenges to a single point router such as hitting thick walls at sharp angles to reach the 2 bedrooms at the corners of the house . I thought an *Orbi would be great – nope. The bedrooms that ‘stick out” need coverage and a router placed in the middle of the main house, can’t get there. What have you guys USED and loved. The house is not wired for ethernet. Not something I am willing to spend the money on either. Wireless is my goal.

*I unfortunately bought the Netgear Orbi RBK50 at the advice of this site and several other reviewers and found there is a BIG difference between testing a device for hours or days then writing a review of it compared to living with it daily. In short, the Orbi is a steaming pile that I sent back after 3 months of suffering and hours with their tech support making changes, firmware upgrades, advanced options, taking my frustration out on my ISP, etc…

I am back to square one. Considering putting the google setup in the attic with Ethernet backhaul (no walls up there). I could really use your help !

Last edited:
Hello good folks of this forum,

I have been going through hell with the *orbi, but sent it back today. Back to the Nighthawk 6700 for the time being. (It can be part of your recommendation, of course)

I need some buying advice for a mesh network or similar to cover my 2600 sf house that is long and shaped like: " [ " - at each end of the house a bedroom that stands in front of the longer main house. It is an older house with really thick walls and many of them so it presents some challenges to a single point router such as hitting thick walls at sharp angles to reach the 2 bedrooms at the corners of the house . I thought an *Orbi would be great – nope. The bedrooms that ‘stick out” need coverage and a router placed in the middle of the main house, can’t get there. What have you guys USED and loved. The house is not wired for ethernet. Not something I am willing to spend the money on either. Wireless is my goal.

*I unfortunately bought the Netgear Orbi RBK50 at the advice of this site and several other reviewers and found there is a BIG difference between testing a device for hours or days then writing a review of it compared to living with it daily. In short, the Orbi is a steaming pile that I sent back after 3 months of suffering and hours with their tech support making changes, firmware upgrades, advanced options, taking my frustration out on my ISP, etc…

I am back to square one. Considering putting the google setup in the attic with Ethernet backhaul (no walls up there). I could really use your help !

ASUS is rolling out its AiMesh. Maybe a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh (see my install notes) would work out... place one short of each end of the main level (say 50-70 feet apart)... assuming your likely wireless traffic would not overload the wireless backhaul. Tri-band with one 5.0 GHz band dedicated to the backhaul may be stronger but I'm not sure the current/past tri-band builds should be considered.

I managed to snag (2) 86U in March from Microcenter.com using the ASUS March Bundle MIR for $140 each... that was a good deal! See the April MIR noted below.

As you know by now, a mesh WiFi system with consumer grade equipment is an experiment. So far, I'm happy with it.

OE

I have a 5500 sqft home. (2 story on a basement).. and been fighting various WiFi stability issues with my Asus RT-ac68u router for several years. Really love the features of the Asus router and the WiFi is pretty strong but I have demanding customers (wife and daughter :) ) at home and they let me know pretty quick when they are having issues. I enjoy tweaking and I am a network-security engineer and don't mind troubleshooting... sort of enjoy it for the most part. I have over 30 devices on the system and at times devices sitting next to each other had different performance behavior. The only way I could fix it was to toggle WiFi on/off on the device to get it working and at times only a device reboot...or router reboot would fix it. My customers constantly were not happy.

I was excited to learn of the new Asus AiMesh featureset but after further research, I just didn't get the feeling this is a mature enough product.. it is more of an afterthought from everything I read. It's just not ready for prime time and honestly, I have little confidence that Asus will fix this in a timely matter.

So... instead of buying additional Asus gear to get something to work, I researched the Google WiFi mesh system and thought I would give it a try. So far... this thing is flawless. Everyone is happy and I get strong WiFi everyone in the house... everywhere... and no drops. Same SSID... PERFECT. System isn't cheap... $260 on Amazon for the 3 device pack but it works. I don't believe there is another residential product out there that will compete with this at this time so if want something at home that works... highly recommend it.

Not the best solution for someone looking to really tweak things ... it's limited but solid. I plugged the main "puck" into my Asus router and have been very impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAW2294/?tag=snbforums-20

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!