What's new

Mesh router and ethernet connection for pod

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizzard

Regular Contributor
Current system is an Asus riuter connected to a modem. Plan is to replace this Asus router with Mesh router.

Planing t buy 3 pod Deco mesh system. As required. 1st pod (primary) will be connected to the modem. 2nd (secondary 1) will be at the other end of the house - downstairs.

The 3rd one is my question. Upstairs I have an eternet cabling connected to a swich which runs off the current router. CAn I connect the 3rd pod (secondary 2) to this ethernet cable upstairs or does it have to run in WiFi mode?

Your Asus router may have mesh capabilities so you could add additional Asus mesh nodes or Asus range extenders with AiMesh capability. Check the firmware and if "386" is in the firmware version it is mesh capable. Also do a firmware upgrade!

As for the mesh node connected to a switch, your results night vary. With Asus we have discovered that the AiMesh does not work with managed switches between the main router and nodes. However, in your case as most mesh nodes also have LAN ports you could connect router to mesh node then connect the switch to the mesh node.

Router---mesh node---switch--clients

Your Asus router may have mesh capabilities so you could add additional Asus mesh nodes or Asus range extenders with AiMesh capability. Check the firmware and if "386" is in the firmware version it is mesh capable. Also do a firmware upgrade!

As for the mesh node connected to a switch, your results night vary. With Asus we have discovered that the AiMesh does not work with managed switches between the main router and nodes. However, in your case as most mesh nodes also have LAN ports you could connect router to mesh node then connect the switch to the mesh node.

Router---mesh node---switch--clients
Apologies if I did not make my question clearer. I am using Asus at present but will REplace it with Deco 3 pod router. So:

Modem ->Deco Router ->Switch->Deco secondary pod. Another 3rd Deco pod to be used in WiFi mode. Not sure if this will work

Apologies if I did not make my question clearer. I am using Asus at present but will REplace it with Deco 3 pod router. So:

Modem ->Deco Router ->Switch->Deco secondary pod. Another 3rd Deco pod to be used in WiFi mode. Not sure if this will work
Thought I was clear. You may not have to replace the Asus. Just add additional nodes.

And I answered your question when I said that some mesh systems have problems with managed switches. So if your switch is not a managed switch the mesh system may work.
But I certainly would not use a TP Link Deco system. Asus is way more flexible and there is a great custom firmware, Merlin, that has more features than most SOHO routers. Deco may be cheaper but you will be replacing it sooner!

Thought I was clear. You may not have to replace the Asus. Just add additional nodes.
The Asus is RT86U. This will not allow mesh with it unless I buy Asus mesh and go with AiMesh. The RT-AC86U does not provide decent coverage in the house - hence the thought of putting in a mesh system. You have confirmed my thoughts on Deco. Perhaps with a bit more spend, Orbi RBK353 might be a better option.

Two RT-AC86U's (or add an RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1 to yours) in AiMesh v2.0 setup (particularly wired) are a great choice for most homes where the mesh is needed.

Two RT-AX86U's are better.

With RMerlin firmware, both are even better and have more benefits and features than any Orbi offers today.

Two RT-AC86U's (or add an RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1 to yours) in AiMesh v2.0 setup (particularly wired) are a great choice for most homes where the mesh is needed.

Two RT-AX86U's are better.

With RMerlin firmware, both are even better and have more benefits and features than any Orbi offers today.
Hi, this the setup I'm thinking of going for but have a question.

Firstly 1 week witb the AC86U and love it, DFS on 5ghz amazing, 6 networks setup for segregation, Chinese IoT. Home Automation, Private Devices,..
One thing that could be improved is the 2.4ghz signal at the other side of the house.

I know 2.4 is old so first is there anything I can do witb asus or merlin which I'm on the latest to improve 2.4?

Secondly if I get an RT-ac68u for AiMesh additional node/ ap can I use the 5ghz of that ac68u as the wireless backhaul to main ac88u and just broadcast the 2.4ghz for clients to connect?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!