What's new

Mesh setup based on Turris Omnia

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nephilim

Regular Contributor
Hi,

first, a lengthy introduction before asking the actual questions: I've been using Asus routers for the past years but despite constant upgrading never achieved a stable setup. The current setup consists of an AX86U Pro (latest Merlin FW) as main router and three AC86U as AiMesh nodes (latest Asus FW) using the 5GHz band as backhaul. They provide Wifi in my house (main plus two nodes from basement to roof) and garden (one node in the shed). I have about 20-30 clients (phones, TV, PC, Raspi, Shelly, Arduino Yun and many esp8266 & esp32 devices). The system runs fine for a few days but then clients (especially the esp8266) start losing connectivity. They might reconnect a few hours later. Another issue is an internet radio that despite a healthy signal strength is sometimes unable to keep up with the stream. Some clients’ GUI cannot be accessed from within the LAN (ping works but no http). The mesh nodes reconnect to the main router contrary to the preference and resulting in a weaker signal strength. Clients have a different IP than assigned in the DHCP server based on their MAC address. The quick fix is to reboot the whole mesh system. If issues continue I switch off router & nodes and switch them on one after the other. Then the next cycle begins. I have read a lot of threads on this forum but to no avail. I am beginning to feel tired.

Now to the questions: I am considering to move away from Asus and get the current Turris Omnia plus a handful of affordable routers as mesh nodes. Most importantly - will I be able to get the desired stability, i.e. no need for reboots apart from firmware updates with OpenWRT and the Omnia? Or is it inferior to AiMesh? I guess OpenWRT will be a learning curve but before buying the wrong items I would like to know if the Omnia can run the mesh backhaul via 5HGz but also let clients connect on 5GHz just like the Asus setup. Which affordable hardware would support the same backhaul speed as I have now (1300Mbps)? Fast roaming should be working, too.

Last edited:
What does your wifi environment look like ?
what materials are in the physical - floor, ceiling, interior /exterior walls ?
With 3 APs and a small place you may be having RF reflection issues and/or too much power into other rooms unless significant RF attenuation.
Changing hardware wont help .

ASUS mesh is marketing, but the ones i have read that worked best were of the same model/version and running same firmware.

The house has a 10x10m square floor plan with brick walls (interior and exterior), partially reinforced with steel. The basement node is located in one corner, the main router on ground floor and the second node on first floor. They are approx 8-9m apart in horizontal direction with about 2.5m vertical distance. The garden node is 15-20m away from the 1st floor node (to which it typically connects). I never thought about a physical issue because everything is working well for a few days.

get the current Turris Omnia plus a handful of affordable routers as mesh nodes

There are plenty of threads around here discussing multi-AP systems from Cisco, Aruba, Zyxel, Ubiquiti UniFi, TP-Link Omada, etc. including matching wired routers and PoE switches. You don't really need home "routers" as "mesh nodes". They may be cheaper, but come with limitations. See this subforum:

Threads on Turris support forum :

An Omnia and Turris Mox units work well together.

Mox modules can be bought and configured in many ways.

I use my Omnia with wired access points, flat ribbon ethernet cable goes to different rooms and floors.

Thank you - I wish I could have wired APs, too but it's pretty difficult over here. An Omnia is on the way but adding a bunch of Mox units is quite costly. I will give a cheaper option a try and report back if it works.

Just a quick update - and another question. I got the Omnia and three cheap Totolink X5000R as mesh APs (their total cost still below 50% of the Omnia). I installed OpenWRT on the APs and after a few days in this new territory I am more than happy. All issues mentioned in the first post are gone!

With this confirmation I am considering adding a third WiFi card to the Omnia and getting tri-band APs to have the backhaul on a dedicated 5GHz channel. I guess this this could be achieved by adding another WiFi card to the Omnia. I fear the existing antennas are not sufficient? I haven't found tri-band WiFi6 APs supported by OpenWRT. Can somebody recommend something? I guess, a custom Turris MOX config would also serve that purpose?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!