What's new

Mesh system: 2400 sq ft - Wireless backhaul only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rodx

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. Long-time lurker, been doing a lot of research on-and-off for the past couple months. Having trouble figuring the right solution for my home, and would appreciate any insight/advice you can provide.
  • Home is two levels - 2400 sq ft.
  • Really only need two-pack system preferably tri-band.
    • 1 standalone router unfortunately is not enough. Node preferably should have at least 2 ethernet ports.
  • Sub-gigabit is fine.
    • I care most about throughput stability. I would like most to keep the 500mbps I'm getting in all parts of the home, but I also realize that a wireless backhaul may fundamentally not allow this, even if it is Tri-band.
In the past, I've tried 2x RT-AC68U with Asus-Merlin firmware connected via AiMesh. I've even played with the settings and customized them according to some of this forum's frequent posters' advice and I found that AiMesh was just way too unstable for my taste. The node would constantly drop and reconnect. I've experimented with turning on and off various features including roaming assistant, I've replaced and shuffled the RT-AC68U's several times, while re-flashing and starting fresh and nothing made my experience remarkably better. I know it wasn't the placement as I've moved the node to other locations with no significant change. When they were working, however, I was getting decent speeds.

Some potentials I've considered are these, but I'm worried they may be overkill and are also quite expensive.
  1. ASUS ZenWiFi Pro AX11000 (2 Pack)
  2. Synology RT6600ax (2 Pack)
  3. ASUS RT-AX86U (2 Pack) -- I know this is dual band, but I have this singular router at my place of work and it has been absolutely fantastic. I do love this router as a standalone device right now.
I would love to give AiMesh another try with the AX86U's if anyone here has noticed it has gotten better/more stable. But I guess at this point I would appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks in advance

AiMesh works ok for some. Mostly marketing. How about using two APs and a wired router ? One AP per floor with ethernet backhaul, possible POE to power them, and the router where it needs to be.
TP Link Omada is a reasonable system.

Hmm I suppose I could consider that, ethernet backhaul would be near impossible however with my current home and setup. POE has also caused me headaches with another separate project in the past, but I do appreciate your advice.

if you have unused coax ( RG6 or RG-59) you can use MOCA for the backhaul.
i have a two story, 3200 sqr ft house with 4 APs connected by MOCA to a central location where the router and ISP modem is located. 5Ghz radios only. No issues roaming ( don't use VOIP).
Run from ONT to router closet is with GOCOAX 2.5gbit MOCA modems over RG6.

But I guess at this point I would appreciate any recommendations.
You didn't list the XT8 model as an option. It's my recommendation. I use a pair of them extremely satisfactorily. They're often priced at $350/pr at Amazon.

if you have unused coax ( RG6 or RG-59) you can use MOCA for the backhaul.
i have a two story, 3200 sqr ft house with 4 APs connected by MOCA to a central location where the router and ISP modem is located. 5Ghz radios only. No issues roaming ( don't use VOIP).
Run from ONT to router closet is with GOCOAX 2.5gbit MOCA modems over RG6.
I see. Thanks for your input! I'll look into this.
You didn't list the XT8 model as an option. It's my recommendation. I use a pair of them extremely satisfactorily. They're often priced at $350/pr at Amazon.
Great call. I meant to actually include that as well. No drops on your node? From what I've read, UNII-4 is a great addition to the 5GHz spectrum for fully wireless backhaul.

Edit: and also, are you running Merlin? I've heard actually that running stock firmware for AiMesh has resulted in more stable connectivity.

Yes, Merlin.

Have run as (wired) mesh and currently as wired router/AP. I don't recall any stability issues anywhere along the way, though haven't done extensive testing of varied combinations/setups.

A separate (good) radio for wireless backhaul is a must IMO.

Yes, Merlin.

Have run as (wired) mesh and currently as wired router/AP.
Ah interesting. So you’re on a wired setup even still if I understood that correctly. I wonder if being fully wireless would result in the issues I had on my original AC68U AiMesh setup

Having a dedicated radio set for the backhaul sure ought to be superior to using only a two-band setup if one wants two bands for client use.

Great call. I meant to actually include that as well.

Think twice about XT8. Folks around are hunting for good firmware for years already. Check the firmware release threads. There are constant issues and reverting back to some previous firmware releases. Some users had enough already.

I would love to give AiMesh another try with the AX86U's

Better, but you may have to do some firmware hunting as well. The latest 388 firmware is not the best, both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. If you plan Asuswrt-Merlin firmware - your main router won't find the node wirelessly. You have to use wired initial AiMesh setup with fail back to wireless. If wireless AiMesh falls apart for whatever reason - you have to do the wired trick again. Start with stock Asuswrt and see what works for you.

Last edited:
Think twice about XT8. Folks around are hunting for good firmware for years already.
Better, but you may have to do some firmware hunting as well. The latest 388 firmware is not the best, both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin.
Interesting. Thanks for this. Now that you mention it, I actually remember vaguely reading some having this experience. It seems like ASUS in general is having some issues with firmware. In my place of work we currently have the AX86U which (for the first time) encountered issues on 388.1. I reverted back to the previous and found I’m still haven’t some weird intermittent drops but only on mobile devices. Hoping for a fix soon.

In retrospect, I think these are just signs telling me to stay away from AiMesh right now. I worry I’ll be dealing with this same problem again down the line and I didn’t have fun trying to debug and fix my old setup repeatedly.

Last edited:
In retrospect, I think these are just signs telling me to stay away from AiMesh right now.

If the house is yours and not a temporary stay or rental place - explore all available Ethernet options. Few years back we did a house in Europe with Ethernet cables in channels around the house, outside. We used similar to the ones on the picture below. They were available in different colors even in wood pattern and paintable. The owner enjoys 4x Cisco APs with PoE. The coverage is excellent and the roaming works well. It looked impossible and the walls were really thick brick and concrete, but we did it.

1673938215975.png

That’s pretty cool! Although still, I don’t think at this time I have the means for this. Potentially down the line it’s something I’ve always considered, but for the immediate time being I’m in dire need of changing the setup due to the outdated system and unreliability.

Hence why right now I think a fully wireless setup—despite its caveats—is the priority.

But I appreciate the insight and will look into this further when that time comes.

Interesting. Thanks for this. Now that you mention it, I actually remember vaguely reading some having this experience. It seems like ASUS in general is having some issues with firmware. In my place of work we currently have the AX86U which (for the first time) encountered issues on 388.1. I reverted back to the previous and found I’m still haven’t some weird intermittent drops but only on mobile devices. Hoping for a fix soon.

In retrospect, I think these are just signs telling me to stay away from AiMesh right now. I worry I’ll be dealing with this same problem again down the line and I didn’t had fun trying to debug and fix my old setup repeatedly.
I found this thread because im looking to replace my four XT8's because of reliability issues. Im using wireless backhaul for two of the four nodes. Its been a nightmare trying to find stable firmware. You either suffer with issues on the wireless backhaul dropping to 2.4Gz and running dog slow, iOS devices no longer connecting, IoT devices failing to connect or random dropouts. It's a shame because i was using CT8's before this and found them solid. What finally pushed me over the edge was that i was having connectivity issues with my ISP (using my XT8 with a Draytek modem). Whilst they were investigating, they asked me to try their equipment (Fritz!Box DSL modem/router with repeater). The speeds weren't as good however the stability has been outstanding. Now that they have finally fixed the line fault having to give that kit back was painful.

Great! Bring it on, brother.

The post to which I'd replied only mentioned 50% wireless backhaul, not specifying where the "unreliability" originated.

What wireless backhaul you have in your current wired router/AP configuration? What experience you share in wireless "mesh" threads?

Last edited:

All different AiMesh configurations with the same and/or mixed Asus routers running stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin, wired or wireless. Models including AC68U (and variants AC66U B1, AC1900P), AC5300, AC86U, AX58U, AX86S, AX86U, AX88U and single XT8 as part of AiMesh as well. I can tell you what performance/issues you may expect in different hardware/firmware combinations and how to fix, if needed. You don't run AiMesh and don't have wireless backhaul. If @rodx had wires available there are far better options than 3-years old underpowered and overpriced XT8.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!