What's new

Mesh Wifi System Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Timde

New Around Here
House is nearing completion and need to determine what to buy. I've decided on a mesh system that I can hardwire, but not sure what to get.

Upstairs ~1600 sq ft. and lower level where second hardwired node will go is maybe ~ 1000 sq ft.

Our ISP might get up to 200 mbps at the moment.

I'd like to get something a little future proof, but don't need top end. I am sure in 3-4 years I will upgrade as wifi 6 will have been in place for a while.

Open to wifi 6 now, but don't want overkill. Anyone have recommendations? Looks like Linksys velop, netgear orbi, tp link all have systems that would fit my requirements, but would love to hear opinions from the sharp folks here.

A single RT-AC86U optimally placed should cover that area.

Keep in mind mesh systems generally have very simple feature sets. So if you need to open ports or like to choose your channels, you many want to opt for a conventional single router. If you want parental controls or other security features, that might dictate your choice.

If you are hardwiring the mesh nodes, you don't need "Tri-band" systems with dedicated backhaul radios. Most mesh systems just have two-stream client-connect radios.

If you have Ethernet in each room, then you'll have good flexibility for where to place nodes and a two-node system will probably be fine.

People used to rave about eero. Don't know if that's still the case now that Amazon owns them. The latest model is not Wi-fi 6.

NETGEAR has the broadest range of mesh systems with both Orbi and Nighthawk mesh. Orbi Wi-Fi 6 is kinda pricey. Nighthawk Mesh is about $100/node, which is a decent price point.

Amplifi instant is an option. If you just buy the routers you can link them via Ethernet (or wireless but that are dual band not tri band). In the UK they have been about £70.

If you are running cables maybe just get access points instead?

I’ve tried mesh systems and I’m awaiting delivery of an access point to see if it provides a better signal and throughput than my previous mesh systems.

Keep in mind mesh systems generally have very simple feature sets. So if you need to open ports or like to choose your channels, you many want to opt for a conventional single router. If you want parental controls or other security features, that might dictate your choice.

If you are hardwiring the mesh nodes, you don't need "Tri-band" systems with dedicated backhaul radios. Most mesh systems just have two-stream client-connect radios.

If you have Ethernet in each room, then you'll have good flexibility for where to place nodes and a two-node system will probably be fine.

People used to rave about eero. Don't know if that's still the case now that Amazon owns them. The latest model is not Wi-fi 6.

NETGEAR has the broadest range of mesh systems with both Orbi and Nighthawk mesh. Orbi Wi-Fi 6 is kinda pricey. Nighthawk Mesh is about $100/node, which is a decent price point.

Thanks! Lookin to keep it simple, so mesh is ideal

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!