What's new

Mesh with Lyras and NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hasarouter

Occasional Visitor
I'm thinking of purchasing Lyras but I wonder how they work with NAS devices.

Most NAS devices support only ethernet connection, not WiFi, and the NAS device tends to be connected to the WiFi device.

With a Lyra Mesh there are 3 or more WiFi devices. Does the NAS need to be connected to the primary Lyra or it would work well with any Lyra ? Unfortunately putting the NAS next to the primary Lyra is not an option due to how space is organized.

Performance would probably be better if it's connected to the primary device.

Note that Lyras have very limited Ethernet capabilities, so a switch might be needed.

Personally I like the Lyra Trio (got a pair of them, used one for a few weeks while working on AiMesh support). I find them visually appealing, and they got the job done for me.

Note that the Lyra line of product is discontinued however (replaced by the new Zen Wifi line). That means I'm not sure for how much longer they will receive firmware updates.

Performance would probably be better if it's connected to the primary device.

Note that Lyras have very limited Ethernet capabilities, so a switch might be needed.

Personally I like the Lyra Trio (got a pair of them, used one for a few weeks while working on AiMesh support). I find them visually appealing, and they got the job done for me.

Note that the Lyra line of product is discontinued however (replaced by the new Zen Wifi line). That means I'm not sure for how much longer they will receive firmware updates.

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of Asus Zen, for Lyras if the product is fairly mature and provided it allows no remote connections, do updates matter that much ? it should be okish security wise, as no remote connections allowed, and if all functionalities needed are there, staying with an older firmware should be palatable

Since a router is your primary security protection in front of the Internet, I consider the availability of security updates to be important. Ask D-Link users how they feel about their EOL devices which have recently revealed yet more remotely exploitable security holes which will never be fixed...

Asus doesn't provide any timetable for device demotion to EOL status, just that they stopped manufacturing them, so no one knows for how much longer the Lyra will receive security updates. Based on their past track record, I suspect they might keep them update for at least a few years since they aren't that old yet.

Since a router is your primary security protection in front of the Internet, I consider the availability of security updates to be important. Ask D-Link users how they feel about their EOL devices which have recently revealed yet more remotely exploitable security holes which will never be fixed...

Asus doesn't provide any timetable for device demotion to EOL status, just that they stopped manufacturing them, so no one knows for how much longer the Lyra will receive security updates. Based on their past track record, I suspect they might keep them update for at least a few years since they aren't that old yet.

I'm not familiar with the D-Link exploit, was it working even with all ports closed / no remote connections allowed?

I'm not familiar with the D-Link exploit, was it working even with all ports closed / no remote connections allowed?

One issue only required web access, and allowed them to run code without being authenticated. Even if the webui wasn't exposed to the WAN, I suspect a XSS attack might have been possible just by visiting a compromised website.

Can't track down the details about the second issue that was uncovered a few weeks ago, but it affected the same devices that, when they were contacted to report the issue, D-Link's answer was that these devices were EOL and would not receive security updates.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!