What's new

MetaGeek Moves To Pay Model For New inSSIDer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

While $20 isn't a lot to pay - each little utility sure adds up... and it doesn't become worth it when you're just using it to optimize a home network and then you might not use it for the next few months.

20 is awful high with no spectrum and no capture. Not worth 20. I do agree on the open sourcing idea.

Bought it right after I read the announcement here on SNB :p

To me it's worth about $10. I think $20 is too much. Well.. $20 is OK for lifetime upgrades.
By the way.. The OS X versions costs only $5.

Last edited:
Bought it right after I read the announcement here on SNB :p

Since inssider 4.0 doesn't offer a trial version, could you give us your opinions on the new version?

If it has the ability to log/track actual usage of the nearby wifi band spectrum (over a few hours - up to 24 would be reasonable) - I too will consider this purchase for my 'occasional use' and pure curiosity. :)

Thank you in advance.

any alternative recommendations that support .ac???

If I refer people to troubleshoot they shouldn't have to pay 20 dollars to do so!

Needs Channel-Utilization... How Busy is each SSID? That's far more important than signal strength (one way).

Going to be hard to get actual channel utilization - but getting SNR would be a good step (traffic that is encrypted that you don't have the key for is Noise) - getting a channel-by-channel SNR ratio would be sufficient...

sfx

New InSSIDer tool out - no longer free?

Just found out today about InSSIDer 4.0, now with 802.11ac support (Tim, you're quoted on their website BTW ;) ).

Seems like they don't have a free version available, which is a shame. I have no problem in buying a licence myself (I do hope it can run on multiple devices however, cause I ain't buying two separate licences for the two laptops), however it makes me sad because it will be harder to recommend users to download it whenever they complain about having wireless performance issues.

Would be nice if they could bin-size scans across the spectrum with general USB adapters - but perhaps not in the cards... but some chipsets do actually have some decent RF reporting.

Couple of screenshots attached... same location - as you can see, the other SSID's outside of channel 11 aren't really a worry, but that spike down in channel one is something to investigate...

It's an old-school Wi-Spy (original/old-school)... wifi adapter is a Rokland N-3 high-gain USB adapter...

BTW - I really do like Metageek - they're a small company that has found a good niche - their solutions for WiFi and Unlicensed Band SpecAN is a pretty good value.

sfx

Attachments

• wispy.jpg
    wispy.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • inssider.jpg
    inssider.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
20$ is indeed expensive in these days where a similar application can be had for under 5$ on a mobile device with almost exact functionalities (and often for even less). I bought a licence because I do use it more often than an average home user might, but I can't recommend anyone else to pay that much considering what the tool does.

At a first glance, I see nothing but the 802.11ac support being new over the previous free version I had installed here. That might be why all the previous free versions also seem to have disappeared from their website, otherwise there would be next to no reason for 90% of the users to pay 20$ for it.

I wish I had kept an older installer, so I could provide it to people who just need a 2 minutes look at their surrounding networks. So if anyone has a free alternative to recommend for such trivial needs, I'm interested...

ripoff, it seems like they did not add much, and the application has gone down hill lately with a very inefficient UI. older versions were more functional in terms of the UP and were also more efficient.

for example here is inssider 2

http://i.imgur.com/vXBnEtG.jpg

a lot less clutter

It's all about utility at the end of the day...

See the screenshots and make a determination on what channel should really be used...

I'm ok with Metaeek putting a price on their tool...

Attachments

• inssider010314.jpg
    inssider010314.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 594
  • chanalyzer010314.jpg
    chanalyzer010314.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 615
Going to be hard to get actual channel utilization - but getting SNR would be a good step (traffic that is encrypted that you don't have the key for is Noise) - getting a channel-by-channel SNR ratio would be sufficient...

sfx

Channel by channel SNR by SSID is not very useful.. tells one nothing about how much traffic (air time) an SSID tends to use (peak hour).

Not hard.. just dwell on channel and count frames by SSID. Just takes time for data acquisition.

In the pro world, we sometimes run channel utilization tools for a day or more before deciding what frequencies to use.

Of course in the future things can change.

Last edited:
Merlin - not cool... you might offer your code for free, but consider that others have to eat... and pay bills...

sfx

The article by Tim Higgins already stated that the old (v3) versions will continue to be available from other websites.

RMerlin did not offer the 4.0 version for free in either case...

Tough crowd. $20 is really gonna break the bank, eh? I agree it is a tad high. But they can always lower the price...tougher to raise it.

I also agree they should have a timed trial so that buyers can check the new features and decide if the pay version is worth it.

MetaGeek is not removing inSSIDer from the download sites where it is currently hosted. Unfortunately, Download.com and Softsonic bundle it with their ad-supported installers.

Looks like this PC World review has an inSSIDer only installer. http://www.pcworld.com/article/232252/inssider.html

The free Android version is also available in Google Play.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!