What's new

Method get settings that differ from default?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there any way to get a list of all settings that differ from the default settings?

Thanks
Hi JohnD5000,

During the beta period, when default NVRAM changes a fair bit between FirmWare Releases. I was curious to find out what changes. The following describes what I did, hopefully it may be something relevant to what you might want to do.

Assumption, you have set up SSH

Take a snapshot of Old / existing NVRAM Settings
  • nvram show
  • Copy all the lines in Terminal
  • Paste these into first cell of 1st column of a MS Spreadsheet
Factory Reset, so that NVRAM Settings are reseted to default the version of FW of your choice,
  • nvram show
  • Copy all the lines in Terminal
  • Paste into first cell of 2nd column of a MS Spreadsheet
Sometimes you may need to do some manual re-alignment of the rows, have a simple formula to compare 2 cells of each row, flag those that are NOT EQUAL. Hope you find it useful:)

PS:
One of the challenge is what each of these NVRAM setting does, what will happen if you change it out of context. I found the most helpful information from John’s package (the .ini file), unfortunately, it does not include AiMesh specific NVRAM settings:

Thanks, I tried the nvram show, and it appears there is not enough memory in the viewer. I'm using PUTTY. Is there a way to save it to a file? (I'm by far an expert. I just turned on SSH,opened Putty, logged in to router and typed nvram show.)

Thanks

Thanks, I tried the nvram show, and it appears there is not enough memory in the viewer. I'm using PUTTY. Is there a way to save it to a file? (I'm by far an expert. I just turned on SSH,opened Putty, logged in to router and typed nvram show.)

Thanks
Assuming you have a Thumb Drive with name ASUS
  • nvram show > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/settings.txt

or use integrated Windows SSH implemented since 1803 working just fine for me. Can copy paste all lines.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online