What's new

Method to re-populate (upload) DHCP dhcp_staticlist after 386.4 FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Hi,

Simple questions really, I am pretty 'low tech' on all things Router but good at following instructions, so bear with me here please:

RMerlin (in the 386.4 FW thread) said:
There is no more dhcp_hostnames with 386.4.

I have been using WinSCP to copy my dhcp_staticlist back to the Router along with both custom_usericon and custom_clientlist following FW updates.
Assuming the Syntax (no funny characters or spaces) is correct, is this correct appraoch to out them back? I have about 35-40 of them so want to avoid having to retype them all.
Following a FULL HARD RESET, could it (re)introduce issues that may have been in the previous FW that I would not have seen, had I not uploaded them?

If it is NOT the recommended approach; is there a reccommended way to do this?
e.g. take a list (with specific Syntax) from a text file and copy paste it into a Putty session (a few years back I followed a method which entailed this approach, along with nvram commit, reboot).

i.e. this was the OLD method before the much easier WinSCP file save/upload approach:

To GET FROM ROUTER:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist
nvram get custom_clientlist

To APPLY TO ROUTER:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="LIST"
nvram commit
reboot

If so, then has the SYNTAX changed in the lists?

Thanks a lot!

k.

also interested as im about to FACTORY RESET my AX88 due to various issues and backup would save me some time...

thanks

Since you are running Merlin's firmware why don't you use the built in utility on the LAN page to export the DHCP list as a CVS file which using the same utlity you can import either to another router running Merlin or restore your static IPs after a factory reset.

Hi,

Simple questions really, I am pretty 'low tech' on all things Router but good at following instructions, so bear with me here please:

RMerlin (in the 386.4 FW thread) said:

I have been using WinSCP to copy my dhcp_staticlist back to the Router along with both custom_usericon and custom_clientlist following FW updates.
Assuming the Syntax (no funny characters or spaces) is correct, is this correct appraoch to out them back? I have about 35-40 of them so want to avoid having to retype them all.
Following a FULL HARD RESET, could it (re)introduce issues that may have been in the previous FW that I would not have seen, had I not uploaded them?

If it is NOT the recommended approach; is there a reccommended way to do this?
e.g. take a list (with specific Syntax) from a text file and copy paste it into a Putty session (a few years back I followed a method which entailed this approach, along with nvram commit, reboot).

i.e. this was the OLD method before the much easier WinSCP file save/upload approach:

To GET FROM ROUTER:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist
nvram get custom_clientlist

To APPLY TO ROUTER:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="LIST"
nvram commit
reboot

If so, then has the SYNTAX changed in the lists?

Thanks a lot!

k.

Look at YazDHCP https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...mit-on-the-number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/

Since you are running Merlin's firmware why don't you use the built in utility on the LAN page to export the DHCP list as a CVS file which using the same utlity you can import either to another router running Merlin or restore your static IPs after a factory reset.
What LAN page are you referring to, LAN - DHCP Server? I don't see any export option. Are you sure you're not talking about an add-on script?

What LAN page are you referring to, LAN - DHCP Server? I don't see any export option. Are you sure you're not talking about an add-on script?
It works so well and is so seldom used that I forgot that you have to install yazDHCP as an addon script. If you have the script the utility then shows up. Well worth installing as before having this capability I always resisted doing a factory reset because of the PITA of reentering all my static IP information.

There may be a possible issue with exporting for people who update to 386.4 then install YazDHCP for the first time. Note Jack's posts:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/post-734042
Needs updating due to Asus changing nvram format (again)
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/post-737346
existing users are fine, the issue is for new users exporting for the first time

hmm so due to "Asus changing nvram format (again)" is also JFFS format after boot not working?

Even i Factory Reset my router i put few hostname entries in WebUI - into DHCP Server, then reboot, add few more and after other reboot those from 2nd entries are gone.
Like is not writing them to "disk/file"

Strange

It works so well and is so seldom used that I forgot that you have to install yazDHCP as an addon script. If you have the script the utility then shows up. Well worth installing as before having this capability I always resisted doing a factory reset because of the PITA of reentering all my static IP information.
Right, thanks for clarifying! I was confused too. There is an Export on the Network Page but it is only current clients not the full list.

I do not bother messing with the nvram setting anymore. It was to much of a pain to edit and keep in order.

Just make a script to modify the dnsmasq.conf directly.
Custom config files · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki · GitHub
I was actually very, very happy using WinSCP to download the two or so lists and upload them again. Was even happy to download, amend the List Syntax and re-upload. I really wanted to keep it simple, not keen on custom scripts to do this. Surely this system can continue? I have done it multiple times (incl. 386.4) and it SEEMS to work, just wanted to know if it was correct.

I was actually very, very happy using WinSCP to download the two or so lists and upload them again. Was even happy to download, amend the List Syntax and re-upload. I really wanted to keep it simple, not keen on custom scripts to do this. Surely this system can continue? I have done it multiple times (incl. 386.4) and it SEEMS to work, just wanted to know if it was correct.
Which files do you backup and replace afterwards , please?

I spend today some time to get those values in order, repeatedly
as after multiple FactoryReset and copy/paste from Excel around 50 values + modifying the "TestHostName2" my frustration is getting high

1644682859998.png

I tried "yazDHCP" but then is whole list gone from UI (seems like per design) , before it ask to do a screenshot. Afterward u need to edit the list in some file, if i understood it correctly. also is not working with 386.4 at the moment

I use "MobaXterm" instead WinSCP

I'm following this thread, though my interest is more for the custom_clientlist and custom_usericon - ie. the manually entered client names/icons into the Asus GUI to help make client names more easily identifiable and "neater" (OCD alert!) - I'm less bothered about static DHCP reservations (I use <10 so while helpful it wouldn't be the end of the world to redo this manually from a list of notable MAC addresses I keep).

I'm a big fan of completely reseting and redoing the config from scratch after a long period of time, especially following big changes / various config experiments / betas / alphas etc - and have got it down to a relatively fine art.. apart from this bit (50+ clients = pain in the arse!)

I tried "yazDHCP" but then is whole list gone from UI (seems like per design) , before it ask to do a screenshot. Afterward u need to edit the list in some file, if i understood it correctly. also is not working with 386.4 at the moment
If you (or anyone) had a problem using YazDHCP, post the problem, issue or question(s) to the YazDHCP thread and hopefully @Jack Yaz will respond.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...mit-on-the-number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/

Which files do you backup and replace afterwards , please?

I spend today some time to get those values in order, repeatedly
as after multiple FactoryReset and copy/paste from Excel around 50 values + modifying the "TestHostName2" my frustration is getting high

View attachment 39420

I use "MobaXterm" instead WinSCP
Hi, I have been saving and copying back to the Router with updated F/W, reset, these 3 files:
dhcp_staticlist, custom_usericon and custom_clientlist.

Attachments

• These.jpg
    These.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 117
great and those 3 files keeps all values + icons? until they dont change the "logic" on next FW update
Much easier as messing with scripts, where i forget commands after some time :p

So hour of my life typing saved, thanks! :D

The other reason I stopped messing with things in nvram was how Asus is shifting things from nvram to the JFFS partition because of space issues.

This got moved, that dint. If you don't sync both it does not work. Just me but I got tired of messing with any settings that require modding nvram other than through the GUI.