What's new

Mikrotik HAP AC2 + AP or Asus ZenWiFi XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeansBaxter

New Around Here
I've had a Mikrotik HAP AC2 doing routing and wireless access for a while. The poor wifi range led me to look for a mesh solution and I ended up with a pair of Asus ZenWiFi XT8s. While installing them, I found that even without any nodes I was getting much better wifi performance from the Asus.

So that got me thinking that maybe adding an access point to my HAP AC2 would be a better solution, because, frankly the stability of the Asus is disappointing. I guess I got spoiled by my Mikrotik.

I'm wondering about the Ubiquity Access Point U6 Lite. Is the stability of that AP going to be better than the Asus? What about wifi performance? I know a single XT8 gives me all the coverage I need.

In my experience if you go with (semi) business-grade equipment instead of consumer-grade, your stability will definitely improve. There are several good AP's outthere. I personnaly have Cisco WAP571's but i see also good feedback on others such as the Ubiquiti, Ruckus and even TP-Link Omada. I can't say much about the wifi range and strength of the Ubiquiti as i have never used them but for sure they will give you a better user experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience and reminding me about the Omada APs. I did briefly look at the EAP610 and EAP670 and will have to look at them in more detail to compare them to some of the other semi- and full-business-grade APs.

The Cisco CWB150AX wireless APs seem to work well for me, and they are very cheap. I have 2 and plan to buy another one to add to my wife's sewing room.

The Cisco CWB150AX wireless APs seem to work well for me, and they are very cheap. I have 2 and plan to buy another one to add to my wife's sewing room.
Thanks for the recommendation. That looks pretty comparable in price and specs to the Omada EAP610 but I would expect the Cisco to be more reliable. Will definitely investigate them further.

The bigger size EAP660/670 with 4x4 radios have better range. If you want Cisco with comparable specs be ready to pay 2-3x more. If you want perhaps the best roaming on the market get minimum 2x Omada APs and OC200 Omada Controller or run the controller software on something always on you have. I run a total of 28x APs in different places mostly Cisco and Ruckus, but cheaper Omada is excellent price/performance and better fits home use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!