What's new

Minidlna database not saved?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Checksum

New Around Here
Just got my N66U today and the first thing I did was load Merlin's mod on it and I'm loving it so far! I've managed to connect my 1TB NTFS external HDD and enable DLNA on it. However, I noticed that every time the router is restarted, minidlna starts, but the database is empty and it starts reconstructing it again. I've tried changing the /etc/Minidlna.conf file directly through SSH, but those changes are discarded on reboot as well.

Is this a known problem? Is there some way to save minidlna's DB so that it need not be reconstructed very time on reboot?

Last edited:
Asus stores the database in RAM, so it doesn't survive reboots. Same with the config file, which gets dynamically generated when MiniDLNA is started (so any change to it gets overwritten).

You would have to create a user script that would stop minidlna, replace the config with yours, then manually restart it.

The next Asuswrt-merlin release will allow you to provide your own minidlna.conf, which will let you override the location to put it elsewhere, like on your USB disk for instance.

Thanks a lot! I have now disabled the media server in the servers center and am manually starting the minidlna server using /jffs/scripts/services-start. I have both the minidlna.conf and minidlna db in an external ext3 partition. Now will the external HDD be mounted *before* services-start is invoked?

Asus stores the database in RAM, so it doesn't survive reboots. Same with the config file, which gets dynamically generated when MiniDLNA is started (so any change to it gets overwritten).

You would have to create a user script that would stop minidlna, replace the config with yours, then manually restart it.

The next Asuswrt-merlin release will allow you to provide your own minidlna.conf, which will let you override the location to put it elsewhere, like on your USB disk for instance.

or you could just change the db path in nvram. I am at work right now so can't check but I think it was something like dms_db_dir or something.

After lot of tries, I have gotten it to work as required :) I first disabled the media server in the control panel. Then I created a services-start script with the following
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
/usr/sbin/minidlna -f /mnt/sda2/minidlna/minidlna.conf
For some reason without the 10 second delay, minidlna refuses to start (maybe sda2 is still being mounted?). In minidlna.conf, I set my custom db and media directories.

This should work till a more robust solution can be developed!

or you could just change the db path in nvram. I am at work right now so can't check but I think it was something like dms_db_dir or something.

It's dms_dbdir. Interesting that they made that an nvram setting without exposing it to the webui.