1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Minimum Patch Length?

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by PinkFloydEffect, May 27, 2020.

1. PinkFloydEffect

PinkFloydEffect Regular Contributor

I was about to re-cable our entire patch rack with 12" cables until one of my coworkers mentioned a minimum patch cable length of 3 meters. I want to move our switches up directly below each patch panel so that I can eliminate the cable management rows with a direct shot from the patch panels to the switches.

I was under the impression this applies to linking switches but not from the switch to a patch panel? The patch panel only terminates a patch cable to the Ethernet runs so I do not see how it would have a negative affect? We are using 48 port Cisco 3750s if that makes any difference, and my intended patch cables would be Cat6 from 12-18"

I have seen this often done on a YouTube channel by the name of FiberNinja which is where I got the idea from.

Thoughts?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Personally I'd never heard of a minimum length for Cat5e/6 patch cables. We must have had 100+ 1 meter cables in our patch cabinets. If it's not allowed why are all the cable suppliers selling 1, 1.5, 2 and 3 meter cables? (Although I never used anything less than 0.5 m in a cabinet).

Looking at Google the minimum length argument seems to be a myth based on some misreading of the specs. They do need to be good quality (i.e. upto spec.) cables though.

PinkFloydEffect and dosborne like this.
  3. dosborne

dosborne Very Senior Member

Back in the day, we used 1000's of short patch cables. 8", 12" were the ideal lengths in our particular setup and came directly from the manufacturer of the equipment.

I still have a couple 4" cables I use today.

PinkFloydEffect likes this.
  4. MichaelCG

MichaelCG Very Senior Member

Man it has been waaaaaay too many years since I had to think about this....but if I am recalling correctly, this was back in the days of hubs. I don't think it really applied in the switch days anymore?? And it was between devices, not patch panels.

PinkFloydEffect likes this.
  5. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

@PinkFloydEffect - Your coworker would be wrong, plain and simple. There is effectively no minimum for patch cable length, and you can find pre-made patch in as short as 6-inch lengths from almost every major vendor out there. So go ahead with 1-foot'ers, 6-inchers, whatever the use-case calls for. You'll be just fine.

L&LD and PinkFloydEffect like this.