What's new

Miniupnpd Problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rljames

Regular Contributor
Chrome browser has recently started to "complain" when attempting to open some webSites.
Seems to happen most often with "new" URLs or places I haven't visited for some time.
Generally get the attached dialog and error.

Retry with "Reload" of the requested page usually works.
Checking my RT-AC66U (w/Merlin .374.35.4 firmware) the Syslog reports for the time of problem;

Code:
Feb 13 12:25:05 dnsmasq-dhcp[427]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.44 84:a6:f9:09:4b:d3 Zeus
Feb 13 12:25:05 miniupnpd[502]: HTTP Connection from 192.168.1.44 closed unexpectedly
Feb 13 12:25:05 miniupnpd[502]: HTTP Connection from 192.168.1.44 closed unexpectedly
Feb 13 12:30:32 dnsmasq-dhcp[427]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.44 84:a6:f9:09:4b:d3

Only thing new is upgrade to Windows v8.1 release.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 695
miniupnp has nothing to do with web browsing, all it does is create new port forwards when requested so by UPnP clients.

miniupnp has nothing to do with web browsing, all it does is create new port forwards when requested so by UPnP clients.

OK... Strange that the "miniupnpd closed unexpectedly" message occurs at the problem time and I don't see any other Syslog messages.

What does the "miniupnpd" message indicate? Something of concern?

Other thoughts as to why I'm having the issues (even if not RT66U related) noted?

Bob

The individual applications on the end user device setup their own UPNP port requirements over HTTP and startup and they should gracefully close them down when you close them.

You will see occasionally where the router just clears out a uPNP port because its exceeded the timeout (probably the computer was switched off etc) and never cleared itself down - these errors I believe are where the client application closed/crashed/did something screwy and just killed its own port requirement mid-stream.

I see them here and there - nothing really to worry about, but its an artifact of the applications on the user device, as opposed to the router/uPNP service.

Looking at the log, the computer in question (zeus) booted up or renewed its IP address and then shortly after asked for a IP address againaddress (maybe switching between wired/wireless or you reset the router) - so that may explain the error if it establishes the upnp connection with one address, and then subsequent communications are attempted using a new established TCP connection (for security reasons upnp only allows port open/close to be performed by the client that requested it to avoid connection hijacking and man-in-the-middle attacks)

Well the IP address and MAC address when used with the DHCP leases system log will tell you which device it is. In terms or which application on that device, you can either use trial and error or look at the connections log and reverse lookup the destination up address that device is connecting to. As a rule it will be anything that is providing a connection to an external service (typically multiplayer games, cloud based backup or any type of file sharing service)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk