What's new

MIPS vs ARM? Which is better?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MIPS or ARM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kodyaten

New Around Here
I am trying to decide whether or not ARM-based router systems are better than MIPS based ones? I am looking getting another system and came across the difference chipsets.

Here's my setup. I have gigabit internet. We don't have cable tv. We pay for live tv Hulu, Netflix, etc. When I got my eero system, I noticed that the Live TV would buffer sometimes. My Velop system didn't do that as much. So I am looking into getting some Ubiquiti gear. I like the Amplifi HD and iOS app. I may get two of them. It has tons of ports. I hardwire them together and my Apple TVs.

But the MIPS makes me nervous because I am having trouble understanding the differences.

Any insight? Thanks.

Are you buffering because of WiFi issues, router issues, or just Internet issues?

There is soooo much more to proper routers than just which CPU type they are using. There is an entire hardware design and software stack to be taken into account. No single Internet media stream will push Gigabit Internet connections to their limits to where the CPU choice of a modern router will matter. Only when you actually push your Gigabit connection closer to its limits will that choice become apparent.

In general, MIPS is faster than ARM. But depending on your usage, maybe ARM is suitable for you.

I am trying to decide whether or not ARM-based router systems are better than MIPS based ones? I am looking getting another system and came across the difference chipsets.

the MIPS vs. ARM thing is likely across similar chipsets (mostly from Broadcom)...

It's more of a systems thing, with broadcom, MIPS is old-school for their consumer oriented chipsets, ARM is the new thing.

Comparing across different vendors and applications - depends specifically on the chip and application used - sometimes ARM is better, sometimes MIPS is better.

ARM benefits from more development these days - from ARM itself (faster/better cores) to the compilers and applications - but that's only at a CPU/core level...

Marvell makes some great ARM based comms processors - and there are Cavium MIPS based comms processors that perform just as well...

Don't worry about the cores - it's more the SW and ancillary things that are more important.

What's "best" isn't the only factor. "Support" is also important.
ARM benefits from more development these days - from ARM itself (faster/better cores) to the compilers and applications - but that's only at a CPU/core level...
And at least some consumer router manufacturers (Asus, Netgear) seem to be moving towards ARM (development, new models). If that becomes the trend then that's where "future proofing" will be.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!