What's new

Misidentified client type

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crimsonbytes

New Around Here
Hi guys,
I wanted to report a bug where the firmware misidentified my Motorola phone (D4:63:C6 mac prefix) as an "Apple iPhone" in the clients list. Since I do not have an iPhone, I immediately thought that someone had somehow gained access to my network. So I added the mac address to the wifi reject filters and went through an exercise of changing my already randomly generated password to a new one.
When I finally noticed my phone was no longer able to connect to the wifi a couple of weeks later, I was digging until I noticed that the mac address I was filtering was my own - not some iPhone's.
Can this be corrected so that only Apple iPhones show up as Apple iPhones? It will go a long way to preventing unnecessary security scrambling for folks like me that don't even have a single apple product. :)

Thanks!

I doubt Merlin has access to do this, or wants to manually maintain the MAC>Vendor database.
Better off reporting it to Asus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: He does have access to it, but still it is an Asus maintained feature so better they fix it upstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt Merlin has access to do this, or wants to manually maintain the MAC>Vendor database.
Better off reporting it to Asus.
It's not the MAC vendor database that's wrong, D4:63:C6 is Motorola Mobility. But if it's part of the network map that is wrong then it's still probably something that Asus needs to fix not Merlin.

It's not the MAC vendor database that's wrong, D4:63:C6 is Motorola Mobility. But if it's part of the network map that is wrong then it's still probably something that Asus needs to fix not Merlin.

Does the router not have a local copy of the DB? Or does it do a live web lookup each time a device connects?
I realise the online DB is correct (I looked it up).

Does the router not have a local copy of the DB? Or does it do a live web lookup each time a device connects?
I realise the online DB is correct (I looked it up).
Good thought. I don't think it has a local database, because forum members have complained that the information was missing when the MAC vendor hosting site has been offline.

As you say, with the Network Map being closed source on 382 branch now anyway it's one for Asus.

The lookup in the Logs>Wireless Logs section is a live lookup (you can see the delay) but I suspect the Network Map one is local.

*Edit* The embedded copy is only used when clicking the MAC address, see RMerlin's reply below.

The 380.xx (OP didn't mention what router or firmware version they're using) versions do have a local OUI database since this commit on May 4, 2016.

The embedded OUI database for that version appears to have been updated last on Oct 2, 2016 and that version is missing your OUI. The latest list from ASUS has it so it does look like it just needs an update.

Last edited:
Networkmap does its own device identification, based on the Trend Micro DPI engine. I have no control over either networkmap or the Trend Micro signatures.

The OUI database is only used when clicking on a MAC address to display a manufacturer for that MAC, it does not affect what's shown on the networkmap client list.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!