What's new

Missing Speed test from web UI when RT-AC86 in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jz1234

New Around Here
I needed to switch my router to AP mode and the speed test is gone from the web interface but it is present in the android app.
Can this be fixed, pls?

I needed to switch my router to AP mode and the speed test is gone from the web interface but it is present in the android app.
Can this be fixed, pls?
This is normal. When the router is in AP mode it has limited features.

Depends. Is there a technical reason for it? if yes then that's fine but if not then this is pretty important feature to keep

Depends. Is there a technical reason for it? if yes then that's fine but if not then this is pretty important feature to keep
When in AP mode it is no longer a router and has therefore no ability to run a speed test from itself.

Just to underscore this: this is a critical feature and should be part of the AP mode feature set.

Just to underscore this: this is a critical feature and should be part of the AP mode feature set.

Disagree - the only reason it is there is to help with setting QOS which is not part of AP. You should be doing speed tests from a computer (the results from the Asus are not reliable anyway).

Asus speed test is not reliable? Can you elaborate? Previous claim was Asus has no ability to run this test in the AP mode.
I would agree that other QOS tabs are not applicable in the AP mode. I am glad this tab works. Hooking up a computer is not convenient for me and i am not looking for 100% precision results anyway. Makes no difference to me if my speed is 700Mbits and I am off by couple of % as long as the results are constant (which they always were in my case).

Asus speed test is not reliable? Can you elaborate?
Do a forum search and you'll find a number of people reporting the Asus router's SpeedTest, on certain routers, to be inaccurate. For example on an RT-AC68U it reports roughly half the actual speed verses testing from a PC wired to the router. Showed an example of this in another post:

Test when run from a RT-AC68U router on a 500/500 fiber line (no extras enabled like QoS or AiProtection):
routerspeed-jpg.44902

Test when run from a PC connected to the RT-AC68U:
pcspeed-jpg.44903

Thank you for taking the time giving examples for RT-AC68U
I use RT-AC86U and I have never experienced these problems. Asus speed test has always been accurate for me.

I had some issues running it via the GUI now that I'm back on stock ASUSWRT as an AP, but seems to work fine from the command line using the CLI parameters from the firmware.
Code:
# ookla -c http://www.speedtest.net/api/embed/vz0azjarf5enop8a/config -f human-readable
     Server: 123NET - Southfield, MI (id = xxxxx)
        ISP: Comcast Cable
    Latency:    10.32 ms   (0.17 ms jitter)
   Download:   555.95 Mbps (data used: 688.6 MB; 3 additional servers)                               
     Upload:    20.97 Mbps (data used: 26.2 MB )                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%

I had some issues running it via the GUI now that I'm back on stock ASUSWRT as an AP, but seems to work fine from the command line using the CLI parameters from the firmware.
Code:
# ookla -c http://www.speedtest.net/api/embed/vz0azjarf5enop8a/config -f human-readable
     Server: 123NET - Southfield, MI (id = xxxxx)
        ISP: Comcast Cable
    Latency:    10.32 ms   (0.17 ms jitter)
   Download:   555.95 Mbps (data used: 688.6 MB; 3 additional servers)                              
     Upload:    20.97 Mbps (data used: 26.2 MB )                              
Packet Loss:     0.0%
Thank you!