What's new

Mixing AX with AC routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Is there any advantage to mixing a RT-AX86U or AX88U on a home network with a RT-AC86U and/or AC68U nodes and older clients?
Or is there any harm in it, providing it is configured in AC mode? I need to replace my RT-AC86U but don't want to go horizontal or down in performance and technology, and must be supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
thanks.

No advantage to mixing them (except for specific environments), and the harm possible is 'real', if a single RT-AX86U/RT-AX88U can cover the areas well.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

But you can always use any 'extra' router with Media Bridge mode capabilities for your wired capable clients to keep the Wi-Fi as fast and clean as possible.

Media Bridge Mode

In your case though, buying an RT-AX86U is the best move forward, if you need to buy today.

No advantage to mixing them (except for specific environments), and the harm possible is 'real', if a single RT-AX86U/RT-AX88U can cover the areas well.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

But you can always use any 'extra' router with Media Bridge mode capabilities for your wired capable clients to keep the Wi-Fi as fast and clean as possible.

Media Bridge Mode

In your case though, buying an RT-AX86U is the best move forward, if you need to buy today.

@L&LD If I read it right, I really need two AX routers to use one as an aimesh node, or use my RT-AC86U in bridge mode with an RT-AX86U. I'm trying to get a handle on that. Would I do away with aimesh with this configuration? My main router is currently in my office about 130' or so from my house, a little too far for one router. I would like to get two AX routers, but don't think I can fit it into my budget right now. The RT-AX86U is currently borderline from a budget perspective. I suppose I could sell my '86U, but it has the fried WAN port, and I am not sure I could get a decent price for it, and am not real comfortable with selling it. If I did, it would be with a full disclosure of all I know about it, or course. I have a matching pair of RT-AC68U's that nothing is wrong with as far as I know that I could part with.
thanks,
jts

@JT Strickland, yes two routers minimum to use them in an AiMesh network.

The RT-AC86U can use a working LAN port as its WAN port in router mode (when Dual Wan is configured). But I don't think that helps you to use the (required) WAN port in AiMesh mode though.

The RT-AC86U (with the above workaround) would be more than enough to have the office saturated in Wi-Fi. You can then add an RT-AX86U (or any other AiMesh router you're considering as its own
Access Point (AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode that you can create an AiMesh system in the main homestead as needed in the future.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - Operation Mode

I believe this could be a working solution for you. :)

Btw, have you tried the following link to see if the WAN port on the RT-AC86U gets 'resuscitated again? :)

Fully Reset Router and Network

@JT Strickland, yes two routers minimum to use them in an AiMesh network.

The RT-AC86U can use a working LAN port as its WAN port in router mode (when Dual Wan is configured). But I don't think that helps you to use the (required) WAN port in AiMesh mode though.

The RT-AC86U (with the above workaround) would be more than enough to have the office saturated in Wi-Fi. You can then add an RT-AX86U (or any other AiMesh router you're considering as its own
Access Point (AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode that you can create an AiMesh system in the main homestead as needed in the future.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - Operation Mode

I believe this could be a working solution for you. :)

Btw, have you tried the following link to see if the WAN port on the RT-AC86U gets 'resuscitated again? :)

Fully Reset Router and Network

No, I haven't tried a full reset, but it would be worth a try. It's been through every thing but that I reckon. It was knocked out during an electrical storm and I think it's fried. I would have bought another one then, but thelonelycoder and some others, maybe you too, told me how to set up the dual WAN with a LAN port as my internet access. I would never have thought of it. I suppose I would have to have my WAN port working to use it as a node with the AX86U? I have ethernet between the house and office that I am currently using as a backhaul for the AC68U node.

A RT-AX86U is currently $247 on Amazon, and a AX3000 is $160, and a AX56U is $137. I could probably go with a pair out of those three if I need to, considering the sale of the two '68U's and possibly the AC86U to recoup a portion of the cost. The other alternative might be to run the AX86U as aimesh router with downward AC compatibility, with one or two of the others as nodes, or in bridge mode as you said. There's not enough price difference between the AX3000 and the AX56U to persuade me to purchase the '56U. I haven't looked at the AX95Q at all, but I will. I have few, if any, clients that would contribute to or use the AX additional benefits, but don't want to go down. I probably will have in the near future.
thanks again,
jts

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC68 and I have recently added both an RT-AX68U and an RT-AX86U to the mix. I'm not using Mesh, the AX86U is the primary router, and the others regular access points. The only unusual issue is my phone is reluctant to roam to the AC router, even when the signal is significantly better on it. Perhaps the WiFi 6 features cause it to weight their connections as better, I don't know. But the AC router is in my bedroom. The fact that I don't max my speed out there isn't really a problem.

I have an RT-AC68 and I have recently added both an RT-AX68U and an RT-AX86U to the mix. I'm not using Mesh, the AX86U is the primary router, and the others regular access points. The only unusual issue is my phone is reluctant to roam to the AC router, even when the signal is significantly better on it. Perhaps the WiFi 6 features cause it to weight their connections as better, I don't know. But the AC router is in my bedroom. The fact that I don't max my speed out there isn't really a problem.
When I walk from my house to office, my phone switches seamlessly in the background using aimesh, but it might do the same thing using an access point.

I don't have a problem with roaming, it just seems to have an aversion to the AC68 now that the AX routers are there. I have to get the phone to a spot where the signal from both the AX routers is below - 75dbm for it to switch to the AC. Even if I turn the WiFi off on the phone, the turn it back on in the bedroom, it will connect to the weaker AX86.

Edit: I just checked, and now it's connected to the bedroom all on its own. Maybe it's still learning. This setup is all new.

I don't have a problem with roaming, it just seems to have an aversion to the AC68 now that the AX routers are there. I have to get the phone to a spot where the signal from both the AX routers is below - 75dbm for it to switch to the AC. Even if I turn the WiFi off on the phone, the turn it back on in the bedroom, it will connect to the weaker AX86.

Edit: I just checked, and now it's connected to the bedroom all on its own. Maybe it's still learning. This setup is all new.
It may not be the difference between the AX and the AC routers. I have noticed my wife's iPhone connected to my primary AC86U which is in my office, and the AC68U aimesh node was closer and stronger. It puzzles me how or why clients and/ or the routers choose which one they would rather deal with.

@JT Strickland,

I haven't looked at the AX95Q at all

I am not suggesting that model at all. That link above is merely the demo link to the GUI I provided for you. :)

@JT Strickland,

I am not suggesting that model at all. That link above is merely the demo link to the GUI I provided for you. :)
Man, I should have seen that. I knew it said simulation but didn't put it together. o_O
I would have had a time when I went to hunting it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!