What's new

MoCA 1.1 & 2.0bonded - co-exist?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David_Dolgin

New Around Here
I've been trying to figure out if MoCA 1.1 and 2.0Bonded can exist in the same coax fabric as long as they are on different channels?

I have an existing FiOS provided MoCA that is 1.1. Have both a DVR and IP Client of DVR on MoCA 1.1
I've joined a TiVo Roamio to the MoCA 1.1, and have a few TiVo Mini(v2) all connected and working.

The inwall Cat5 is to low of a quality to support gigabit reliably, so I was looking at getting some MoCA 2.0bonded adapters so I could link a few ethernet switches around the house at gig vs 100. I know 2.0bonded won't give me full gigabit, but its better then what I can get on the inwall cat5.

My confusion is if I connect any MoCA 2.0bonded adapters will it co-exist with the 1.1 network, or will the whole network just run at 1.1 speeds?

Can you have 1.1 and 2.0 co-exist on different channels?
Does anybody if FiOS gear can run at on a 2.0 network?

Appreciate any advise or recommendations. Thanks!
p.s. If there is a MoCA for dummies - I would not take offence, I know what I don't know :)

The adapters will run at their designated speeds. It the throughput of each ethernet port attached to the adapters is independent.

The adapters will run at their designated speeds. It the throughput of each ethernet port attached to the adapters is independent.
I don't think this is correct. Could you cite the resource where you found this information?

I don't think this is correct. Could you cite the resource where you found this information?
I read the white papers, it's right on the alliance website. Point 2...

Backward Interoperability Assured
MoCA 2.0 nodes interoperate with 1.1 nodes on the same network.

MoCA 2.0 capable nodes communicate in MoCA 2.0 mode when talking to MoCA 2.0 devices even when legacy devices are present in the network.

I read the white papers, it's right on the alliance website. Point 2...

Backward Interoperability Assured
MoCA 2.0 nodes interoperate with 1.1 nodes on the same network.

MoCA 2.0 capable nodes communicate in MoCA 2.0 mode when talking to MoCA 2.0 devices even when legacy devices are present in the network.
That's awesome! Does it work in practice though? Has anyone tried it? I remember a few threads on here where someone was trying 1.0 and 2.0 on the same network, but don't recall the outcome.

That's awesome! Does it work in practice though? Has anyone tried it? I remember a few threads on here where someone was trying 1.0 and 2.0 on the same network, but don't recall the outcome.
Yes, it works in practice. To test it you have to make sure you are connected to the 2.0 devices...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!