What's new

MOCA 2.5 - Dramatically Different Speeds Per Direction

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NeedForSpeed

New Around Here
Hi Good Folks,

This is my first shot at a MoCa installation. I have a Comcast 1.2 Gigabit internet circuit running to a XB-7 Modem running in bridged mode. The XB-7 has MoCa 2.0 functionality which I turned off (I'm not sure if the XB-7's MoCa functionality works in bridge mode anways). Instead I'm trying to use Actiontec ECB7520 adapters to get up to MoCa 2.5.

The POE filter was already installed by Comcast at the demarc point. I replaced the 3-way Commscope splitter with a BAMF 3-Way Coax Cable Splitter Bi-Directional MoCA 5-2300MHz. This is all outside the house in an external box.

From reading here, I used a BANF 2 Way coax splitter (2-2300 Mhz) to split the signal in my office (where the cable modem & router reside) to both the cable modem and the MoCa adapter. Then I connect the router to the Xb-7 Modem's WAN side, and run a line for its LAN side back to the Actiontec MoCa adapter.

I wasn't sure if this would work, but I saw a similar diagram here. The problem is that when I run an iPerf3 client on my NVIDIA Shield to a iPerf3 docker on my Synology NAS (see diagram), I only get ~180 Mbps down but the expected ~900 Mbps up! I have no idea why this is. I thought that perhaps the XB-7 Modem was reflecting back MoCa signals so I tried installing a POE filter in front of it but all that did was slow down the iPerf3 tests slightly.

I don't want to used Comcast's Moca 2.0 implementation if it requires taking to modem out of bridged mode for various reasons.

I called ActionTec support today, and he said to replace the BANF 2 way coax splitter that lets 5-2300Mhz pass with one that lets 5-1670Mhz pass so I used the ones that came with the adapters. They are 5-1670Mhz. I have no idea how this would solve this issue, and I tried it using the stock adapters from the Actiontec Adapters and there was no change in iPerf3 performance.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

MoCA.png

Attachments

• MoCA.png
    MoCA.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Is there a diagnostic page on the A/Ts that you can get to check the bands being used and the sync rate between nodes ?
Use a PC with a gigbit wired port in place of the firestick for testing.
What was the iperf command used ?
The options to use on iperf are listed in the GOCOAX thread or one related. Basically,you want parallel streams, maybe 10 to get the full bandwidth saturated.
There was another thread here were the poster was seeing asymmetric test speeds with iperf. i forget how that was resolved though.

There are no cable TV boxes or cable DVRs on the moca network ?

There are no cable TV boxes or cable DVR's on the MoCa network, just a 1.2 Gbps internet circuit. I was using Analiti for the iPerf client on the NVDIA Shield so I'm going to have to use the Docker IPerf3 command line as a client coming back instead to truly tell you what iperf command was used.

I'm going to try a used laptop now.

I saw that thread you mentioned and it ended with call ActionTec support. I'm not sure if that person ever figured it out or not.

Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!