What's new

Moca amplifier with cable modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

javier77

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I have been trying to fix my internet connection without success. I live in Venezuela and the cable company doesn’t send anyone to check the cause of the problem, so I’m trying to find a solution. I have Tv and internet via coaxial wire. The internet service doesn’t work properly. I bought an amplifier Commscope model: CEMAPDU5VPI which has MoCA technology. I’m wondering if a made a mistake buying this amplifier. I’m trying to have a better internet signal. I would need a moca adapter or filter for that? My cable modem is a Netgear CG3100D-28paus. I will really appreciate any help at this respect!!
Thanks I’m advance

I bought an amplifier Commscope model: CEMAPDU5VPI which has MoCA technology.
Any chance that you meant CSMAPDU5VPI?

Regardless, these amps don’t “have MoCA technology” … beyond having a built-in “PoE” MoCA filter and being designed to allow MoCA signals to flow between all output ports, including between the passive (non-amp’d) port and the amplified ports.

Further, if you’re having *Internet* connection issues, a “designed for MoCA” amp wouldn’t be of any more significant help than a MoCA-agnostic amp. A “designed for MoCA” amp would only be needed when an amplifier has been determined to be needed to boost the cable TV (QAM) and/or Internet (DOCSIS) signals *and* MoCA is being used to extend LAN connectivity.

Re: your “Internet” issues…
I have been trying to fix my internet connection without success. … The internet service doesn’t work properly. … I’m trying to have a better internet signal.
None of this describes any specific symptoms as to what is specifically wrong with your setup. Frequent disconnects? Slower than expected? Poor/slow wireless connectivity? Just need a wired network connection somewhere else in the residence?

Can you provide any details or symptoms of what’s wrong?

My cable modem is a Netgear CG3100D-28paus.
This is a cable gateway, so I’m assuming that you’re using it for both purposes, cable modem *and* router?

If looking for help diagnosing a cable Internet connection issue, the first thing you’d probably want to do is check, document and post the modem’s download/upload diagnostics (example) for the following cases:
  • direct-connected to the provider feed (so with all other coax runs temporarily orphaned);
  • connected via the amp’s passive output;
  • connected via an amplified amp output;

p.s. Have you tried a new DOCSIS 3.1 cable gateway? Or even temporarily borrowing (very short-term leasing) a gateway from your provider?

Last edited:
Hi. I have been trying to fix my internet connection without success. I live in Venezuela and the cable company doesn’t send anyone to check the cause of the problem, so I’m trying to find a solution. I have Tv and internet via coaxial wire. The internet service doesn’t work properly. I bought an amplifier Commscope model: CEMAPDU5VPI which has MoCA technology. I’m wondering if a made a mistake buying this amplifier. I’m trying to have a better internet signal. I would need a moca adapter or filter for that? My cable modem is a Netgear CG3100D-28paus. I will really appreciate any help at this respect!!
Thanks I’m advance
Any chance that you meant CSMAPDU5VPI?

Regardless, these amps don’t “have MoCA technology” … beyond having a built-in “PoE” MoCA filter and being designed to allow MoCA signals to flow between all output ports, including between the passive (non-amp’d) port and the amplified ports.

Further, if you’re having *Internet* connection issues, a “designed for MoCA” amp wouldn’t be of any more significant help than a MoCA-agnostic amp. A “designed for MoCA” amp would only be needed when an amplifier has been determined to be needed to boost the cable TV (QAM) and/or Internet (DOCSIS) signals *and* MoCA is being used to extend LAN connectivity.

Re: your “Internet” issues…

None of this describes any specific symptoms as to what is specifically wrong with your setup. Frequent disconnects? Slower than expected? Poor/slow wireless connectivity? Just need a wired network connection somewhere else in the residence?

Can you provide any details or symptoms of what’s wrong?

This is a cable gateway, so I’m assuming that you’re using it for both purposes, cable modem *and* router?

If looking for help diagnosing a cable Internet connection issue, the first thing you’d probably want to do is check, document and post the modem’s download/upload diagnostics (example) for the following cases:
  • direct-connected to the provider feed (so with all other coax runs temporarily orphaned);
  • connected via the amp’s passive output;
  • connected via an amplified amp output;

p.s. Have you tried a new DOCSIS 3.1 cable gateway? Or even temporarily borrowing (very short-term leasing) a gateway from your provider?
thank you for your prompt answer. I'm going to provide more specific details: 1) The main issue are constant disconnections of the internet service, mainly on day hours. It usually works at night but not all the time. That was the reason why I thought one amp could help. (maybe I am wrong and it is just a technical failure of the service out of my hands, Im not an expert, but here things are very difficult to solve now)

2) Yes, it is a gateway and I use it as a router too and it has one Ethernet connection to provide internet for one DVR placed close to it. I’m not trying to create a MoCA network at home. I didn’t know what MoCA was until I bought the amplifier. My main idea basically was try to amplify the signal so it could mean a more stable internet connection.

3) I haven’t tried yet with another cable modem, or with a Docsis 3.1. Probably it could work? I will attach some pictures about the modem’s download/upload performance

Attachments

• BE11341C-A69E-44CF-B9CF-EEA13B3E226E.jpeg
    BE11341C-A69E-44CF-B9CF-EEA13B3E226E.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 514D544D-EF59-4B63-9064-07D5A66C8A7B.png
    514D544D-EF59-4B63-9064-07D5A66C8A7B.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 73
  • F6093121-52FD-408E-9D14-77648097A1F2.png
    F6093121-52FD-408E-9D14-77648097A1F2.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 103B834D-9109-4AE9-BE47-6BFBDDC7EBB9.png
    103B834D-9109-4AE9-BE47-6BFBDDC7EBB9.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 025C7B63-04CD-4158-8B69-DA9BF620BE41.png
    025C7B63-04CD-4158-8B69-DA9BF620BE41.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 84
Capture that screen when the internet is working and when it is not. I suspect it is loosing Channel 8, but want to see. If so, you could try to contact the ISP and send them the details.
Also, with cable, the head end is shared with all downstream users, so it can get very slow during high demand.

Solution may be as simple as the cable co finding the bad connection / spot in the cable. You might look at the demarcation point ( box where ISP cable connects to the house cable) and check that connections are tight, safety bond is in place, and weather tight. Check your internal connections as well up to the modem.

Try connecting the modem to the cable just before the "split" you mentioned above and see if you get better signal, particularly on channel 7 and 8.

Capture that screen when the internet is working and when it is not. I suspect it is loosing Channel 8, but want to see. If so, you could try to contact the ISP and send them the details.
Also, with cable, the head end is shared with all downstream users, so it can get very slow during high demand.

Solution may be as simple as the cable co finding the bad connection / spot in the cable. You might look at the demarcation point ( box where ISP cable connects to the house cable) and check that connections are tight, safety bond is in place, and weather tight. Check your internal connections as well up to the modem.

Try connecting the modem to the cable just before the "split" you mentioned above and see if you get better signal, particularly on channel 7 and 8.
16B4E69E-D637-47A9-8675-189F07F3CB6E.jpeg

This is the situation now. There is not difference connecting the gateway directly to the amp, or to the cable that comes from the street without split, there’s no internet service. Cable tv is working properly.

Installing a different amplifier could make any difference? I will check your suggestions about the connections outside and here but due to it starts working alone specially at night the reason probably is a lack of power on the service or something like that. Maybe the best option will be trying to find another source or provider.

Yes, you’re probably right. There are power cuts from time to time but in this area are not very frequent. I guess it could be lack of maintenance or something like that. I was hoping that with an amplifier I could solve the issue. Since the cable tv service is constant and without interruptions I thought that the reason for the internet disconnections could be lack of power or something like that but apparently it is something more serious

I would like to thank you for taking your time and try to help me! I found very useful the information you share on this forums.
Best regards to all here

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!