What's new

MoCA and Composite Video?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Samir

Very Senior Member
I have an area that has just one coax going to it and I wanted to see if it was possible to use moca on that line to get Internet to that location. It has an analog security camera which is using the coax to send composite video. Will a moca solution still work with the video or is the video using the whole spectrum available on the coax?

Thank you in advance for any answers. :cool:

MOCA is well defined. It was designed to work with analog cable and broadcast. What frequency range is the video transmitting over ?

MOCA is well defined. It was designed to work with analog cable and broadcast. What frequency range is the video transmitting over ?

Not enough info to go on - some of the really old cameras transmitted on the old Analog TV UHF channels - typically around CH55 - usually between 700 to 740 MHz...

@Samir - any info on the camera - vendor/model number, any other interesting info?

It's just a standard analog cctv camera outputting composite. Let me see if I can find the specs on an example camera...

I assume it's spitting output over to a monitor or DVR somewhere...

Shouldn't be a problem with MOCA I would think...

I assume it's spitting output over to a monitor or DVR somewhere...

Shouldn't be a problem with MOCA I would think...
Yep, exactly--dvr at the end of the coax. I'm interested in trying to get ethernet over the same coax using moca, but since normal cable and satellite use 'channels' versus composite using the whole cable (you can't put multiple channels on a cable using composite without using channel modulators for all the composite signals), my hunch is that moca won't be able to work either since the composite signal may be overlapping with moca signals.

my hunch is that moca won't be able to work either since the composite signal may be overlapping with moca signals.

Likely ok - but concern would be the quality of the coax link - MOCA needs good stuff there - above 1GHz, a lot of the older Coax is limited...

Likely ok - but concern would be the quality of the coax link - MOCA needs good stuff there - above 1GHz, a lot of the older Coax is limited...
I think the coax is good--RG6 installed in 1995 and has the nice new ends on it for termination. I haven't tested my g1100 moca units on it yet, but in testing in a similar cable environment I saw almost 500Mbps.

My fear is that the composite signal will be using all the bandwidth though, and I'm having trouble finding any information on the spectrum used by analog composite. :(

My fear is that the composite signal will be using all the bandwidth though, and I'm having trouble finding any information on the spectrum used by analog composite. :(

Most cams of that age - they do NTSC*, so bandwidth might not be a concern.

* depending on what part of the world - some do PAL, some might do SECAM - anyways, bandwidth there, not so much - basically it's a single TV channel...

Most cams of that age - they do NTSC*, so bandwidth might not be a concern.

* depending on what part of the world - some do PAL, some might do SECAM - anyways, bandwidth there, not so much - basically it's a single TV channel...
Sorry, I meant bandwidth in terms of the full channel spectrum on the cable--which would mess with moca signals.

A little bit of an update (and some notes for myself)--looks like whoever installed and terminated that coax back in 1995 made it look pretty, but I could never find the other end at the demarc 3 floors up. :(

But I did test the G1100s again locally to make sure they were working and the small patch coax I was using was good--solid 630Mbps link between them. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!