What's new

MoCA and Time Warner Cable Internet don't play nice!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FlyRyde

New Around Here
Hi, I'm Chris. Hopefully somebody out there understands my situation and can help! Ok, first off, ISPs dont know anything about MoCA it seems, and their techs at least understand it, but have never heard of it. I had MoCA setup in my old home that had Verizon Fios, and it just piggy backed on to the system and worked amazing in any room that had coax.

So, I'm in another home now, and Fios is not available, so Time Warner was the option we went with for TV and internet. Their modem is just like the fios system, where it has power and a coax hook up in the back. Now from everything I've checked, it seems that the signal carried through the coax is only the lower frequency, without the upper range for internet (and in this case MoCA).

I had a tech come out because in only one room of the house, the MoCA adapter didn't read any coax signal... in my room. Every other room in the house, I could give it power and screw in coax, and the LED lit. Well after the tech came out to see what was up with my signal, he installed an amp to the upstairs lines, and all of the sudden, non of the coax lines light up the LED indicator for coax on my MoCA adapter now.

I read through some awesome posts about diplexers and nicer power pass splitters, installed everything correctly, and the hardware is in perfect now. I basically seperated the lines into upper and lower frequencies, allowing the amp to boost the lower frequency and bypassing it with the upper range, then brought them back together (again, using diplexers), and the TV signal is boosted now... but no signal shows on MoCA through the lines upstairs OR downstairs now, even coming directly from the main line to the modem like it used to work??? This is weird, because the amp uses a directional connector so that it boosts only one way, and almost like i diode I guess, it doesn't let that boosted frequency to back feed into the system. So why downstairs my adapter isn't seeing a signal I dont get?

In a last ditch effort I checked outside where the main line enters the house. Sure enough the guy had put a splitter out there that was for the lower range frequency only, so I swapped it out with a power pass gold splitter to make sure both frequency ranges were coming in. Still nothing, yet the Time Warner modem is happy as ever, and stayed that way through out, even with only the lower range signal coming through. I'm mentally spent on figuring this out.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have Time Warner So. Calif. cable TV/Phone/Internet (cable modem).
And my own MoCA goes on parts of the coax in my house.
Works fine.

My coax wiring is simple: Sort of like this

Coax enters home
Two-way splitter:
1 Coax to garage, to another 2-way, to digital phone modem and cable modem for internet.
2 coax to in-attic amplifier with return channel

Output of amplifier:
to a 4 way splitter to feed TVs in different rooms

MoCA is on a coax from garage to Living room where HDTV with internet connectivity is. One MoCA box in garage - loop-thru. That coax goes directly to living room to the other MoCA box- loops through to get to the TimeWarner Set Top Box.

Hope this helps, sans schematic drawing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!