What's new

MoCa for Dummies - Please Be Kind....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shelleyevans

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have been working for a couple of weeks to optimize/improve my home media setup. Have a DLink DIR-655 router, two computers connected via gigabit ethernet, several laptops that connect using wireless n or g, all works famously. Recently got a ReadyNAS Duo in order to serve my movies and archived .tivo files to two HD Tivos. (Previously was doing that from my desktop).

Now that I have a dedicated media server, I'm trying to find a solution that lets me connect at high enough speeds to stream HD content from my ReadyNas Duo to my HD tivos. Tried Wireless N, but couldn't get it to hold a connection. Tried Powerline, but there are, apparently, too many subpanels in my very old house-- I can make a connection, but can't transfer HD in real time, which I gather is possible using Moca adapters.

I have ordered three actiontec adapters, read every available review and thread about MoCa adapters, and want to confirm my intended set up:

I will take the coax from the wall, connect it to my actiontec, and then use the TV/STB port to connect my actiontec to the Comcast modem. I will connect my cable modem via ethernet to the WAN port on the router, and the actiontec to an available ethernet port on the router. My concern: will my cable modem connection be degraded/interrupted if I "passthrough" the actiontec in this way? Should I use a splitter and run separate connections to the actiontec and cable modem?

At the Tivo end, I plan to do the same thing: coax from cable outlet to actiontec, coax from actiontec to tivo HD, and ethernet from actiontec to Tivo. I have similar concerns about degrading/losing the cable signal if I pass through the actiontec, although it seems as if that's what is intended.

I also use Comcast VOIP, which runs off a modem connected to a splitter that also runs to one of the Tivo's. Any problems there?

Actiontec has no configuration options, so I want to make sure I have the right idea before I spend another two weeks trying to make it work. Thanks to all in advance. :)

Yes great idea

By splitter so you mean switch? All the cable is doing is converting the signal on both ends. What comes out the actiontec adapters is the same signal you would get if you hardwired. You can pass through on those ports, however I have never tried it so I do not know their throughput capacity. You might looking into getting a few inexpensive 5 port switches for each room. For the cost of the MOCA you probably could have had a pro wired Gig ethernet for you CAT5e. Be careful splitting your signal to many times in your house unless you have an amp. It is possible to degrade the incoming telecom signal by having to many tv's and STB's hooked up in the house. If you have to you could consider wiring on the outside of the house yourself for about 250 dollars. You could then consolidate your hardware in a cabinet and just have an UPS on all of it so your VOIP and your network runs for a few minutes on brownouts. Works for me. My house was built in the 1880's and I had to go on the outside of the house. Just make sure that your cable is UV rated and have a nice roto-zip.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Believe me, I would wire with cat5e if I could. The amount of time I have spent so far would make it worth it! It just so happens that both rooms where tivo's are located don't have ethernet; reaching them is nearly impossible, and would create too much damage (old walls, plaster, etc.).

With our current number of STB's (2), TV's (2), and VOIP (1 modem, bridged to the existing phone wiring), we have not experienced any degradation of signal. From what you're saying, it sounds like the actiontec adapters will not degrade the signal further, and I don't need to add any splitters before the adapters-- the actiontec adapters will just pass the cable signal to the STB without degrading the signal or making any changes to it, and will capture the network traffic and send it off on the ethernet cable. Did I get it right? (If I did, it sounds too good to be true! ;) )

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Believe me, I would wire with cat5e if I could. The amount of time I have spent so far would make it worth it! It just so happens that both rooms where tivo's are located don't have ethernet; reaching them is nearly impossible, and would create too much damage (old walls, plaster, etc.).

With our current number of STB's (2), TV's (2), and VOIP (1 modem, bridged to the existing phone wiring), we have not experienced any degradation of signal. From what you're saying, it sounds like the actiontec adapters will not degrade the signal further, and I don't need to add any splitters before the adapters-- the actiontec adapters will just pass the cable signal to the STB without degrading the signal or making any changes to it, and will capture the network traffic and send it off on the ethernet cable. Did I get it right? (If I did, it sounds too good to be true! ;) )
Yes in theory you should be good to go. I will add the "in Theory" caveat though. Again you could go outside to the inside. Just saying I am in the same boat old house, 3/4 concrete board walls. Tuck the wire into the space between the clapboards.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!