What's new

MoCA Network help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kylenetwork

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a home network that has Cat5e cables and coax cables running from all over the house into a central closet. The central closet is where my main internet line comes into my modem. I have a switch for my Ethernet cables. I do not use the coax cables at all for any purpose. They are not attached to anything. I do have a few places where I could use hardwired connections and came across MoCA adapters.

My question is this:

Is there one single “MoCA switch/patch panel” I can use in the central closet, so that all of the coax cables can be terminated into there, and then I can attach those cables to my Ethernet switch?

Or would I have to buy individual MoCA adapters for each coax cable I want to use as Ethernet?

Also, I’m a little confused by how people are setting these up: some people have a MoCA router, but I’m not sure what that is. Some people are connecting it to their main internet line from the ISP. And some people are buying 2 MoCA adapters and attaching them to the 2 ends of the coax cable. I’m assuming the third one is the best option for me, but I have a lot of coax cables ( 20 cables). None of these are hooked up to anything, in fact they have yet to be terminated. I wanted to see if there was a way where I wouldn’t have to buy 40 MoCA adapters.

Thank you!

Did you get to see this thread? There are links there that may eventually show different setups.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/moca-2-5-adapters.47087/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for your reply! I just saw the multi node setup, so I’m assuming I would have one MoCA adapter in the central closet, hook it up to a 3 way splitter. Then buy 3 more MoCA adapters to use in the rooms for a total of 4 MoCA adapters. Is that correct?

If I use an 8 way splitter, I’m guessing I would have less throughput because the 2.5 gbps is shared by 8 coax cables, right?

Thanks!

It is great if all your COAX terminate in a central spot. Then you can decide how many MOCA adapters you want on a group (yes they will share bandwidth if they are in the same group, meaning off the same splitter). I have a mix in my house. For things that don't need but 100Mbit I use adapters that are much less expensive (Like $16 for a pair). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AYMGPIO/?tag=snbforums-20

It is great if all your COAX terminate in a central spot. Then you can decide how many MOCA adapters you want on a group (yes they will share bandwidth if they are in the same group, meaning off the same splitter). I have a mix in my house. For things that don't need but 100Mbit I use adapters that are much less expensive (Like $16 for a pair). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AYMGPIO/?tag=snbforums-20

Great, thank you so much! Would I need a MoCA filter if I’m using MoCA only internally, meaning it is not set up through the main internet line?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!