What's new

MOCA network verification?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pennsylvania Guy

New Around Here
Hi All,
I am just jumping into MOCA and am not sure if I am implementing it properly. Can someone have a look at my network diagram and let me know if it will work?

upload_2020-5-21_9-22-4.png

Any help is appreciated!!

It should work if all the splitters are capable of passing MOCA frequencies. The shown needs to block MOCA from being back fed into the CATV's network. You need to buy a filter for this purpose if the cable company hasn't already installed one in your DEMARC.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I wasn't sure if the signal to my cable modem (DOSCIS 3.1) and MOCA could coexist in the same cable or not.

Yes I have considered a POE filter and MOCA rated splitters. The filter is shown in the diagram but I should have shown some details of the splitters in hindsight.

Don't confuse POE (Power Over Ethernet ) with MOCA. I'm not even sure that there is such a thing as a POE filter and if there is it wouldn't be used on coaxial cable.

Are you using cable for internet only or do you have tv and other ?
I think there can be overlap between the gocoax which uses all 5 channels of moca and a docsis 3.1 modem depending on what channels the cable co is using. There was another thread here with gocoax about a similar issue.

if only internet, put the modem in the basement and run an all moca 2.5 cable system. Simpler.

Don't confuse POE (Power Over Ethernet ) with MOCA. I'm not even sure that there is such a thing as a POE filter and if there is it wouldn't be used on coaxial cable.
In the context of MoCA, POE means Point of Entry, although I agree that it is confusing and unclear.

I have a similar setup, except I have 3 adapters for 1 router and 2 access point setup. One thing I would suggest is getting rid of the splitter on the second floor. I have the coax from the wall going into the MOCA Port of the adapter; a coax cable from the TV port of of the adapter to the modem; Ethernet from modem to WAN port of router; and then Ethernet from router back to Adapter. Works like a charm with 3500 phy rates among all adapters. I use 1 BAMF splitter where the cable comes in. I have DOCSIS 3.1 modem from Spectrum (on gigabit plan) and no cable TV.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!