What's new

MoCA Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Whackfol

New Around Here
I have a similiar issue to Corndog in that I have a spare (no cable TV on it) RG6 Quad coaxial cable to a detached garage at my house (about 600 feet of cable from my switch) and would like to to use it to extend my network. I am not versed in network protocols and jargon. During my search I found ther seems to be a number of new items that say they provide ethernet over coax and are certified by MoCA (are they relevant to me?). The three I have found the most about are: D-Link DXN-221, Gefen GTV-ETH-2-COAX, and Netgear MCAB 1001. (Until I found this thread, I never heard of the Motorola NIM100). Reading the specifications leads me to believe that, while networking is available, the primary goal is to use existing cable to distribute home theater. I'm not sure whether I need all this or not. Most consist of two boxes (send and receive) wich convert the UTP cable from the network to the coax and back again on the other end. The cost is in the $150 to $200 range.

As I read through other related posts, much was said about the speed issues over coax. What can I expect in the way of speed compared to my cat 5, 10/100 network?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the products specified above or any others. My goal is to keep the speed up and connect to my network in the simplest and cheapest manner.

Whack

Last edited by a moderator:
The D-Link and NETGEAR products use MoCA. The Gefen does not.

MoCA is a technology to extend Ethernet over Coax, not specifically for home theater audio and video distribution.

Any "alternative" Ethernet technology (Wi-Fi, powerline, MoCA) will be slower and less reliable than Ethernet. That said, MoCA is the best performing alternative for both speed and reliability. See Ethernet from your TV Outlet: NETGEAR MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit Reviewed.

Thank you! The review was extremely helpful.

Would you htink there is a significant difference between the D-Ling and the Netgear products? Does the MoCA standard assure similiar products?

Would you htink there is a significant difference between the D-Ling and the Netgear products? Does the MoCA standard assure similiar products?
Don't know until I test the D-Link, which is in queue for test (no estimated time frame, sorry).

I have found significant difference among powerline products and I suspect that all MoCA won't be the same.

I have FiOS, so I am using a MoCA enabled Actiontec MI424WR. All I had to do to extend my network was buy a few more Actiontec MI424WR's ($25 on Ebay) and run them in MoCA bridge mode. Instant wired network with my existing RG6 coax.

Running iperf shows a constant 100Mbp/s (12MB/s) transfer speeds between computers using MoCA in the middle. Obviously this is limited by the 100Mbps switch on the Actiontec's. The current MoCA standard is rated at 270Mbps.

Incredibly reliable, I see no difference from this and straight CAT5e.

If only more people knew that the Actiontec's can be had for so incredibly cheap, everyone could have a reletively fast wired network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!