What's new

MoCA Rookie - Will planned setup work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randyholl

New Around Here
I need to extend my wired network to a few additional rooms. As wired when the house was built, some rooms have Ethernet and coax, some just coax, and one room has neither. Each of the areas I need to expand the wired network to have applications that require a wired connection and cannot use WiFi. As such, I am planning on adding both MoCA and power line (HomePlugAV2) capability to the network. I currently rely on my incoming cable TV connection to provide phone, internet and cable TV service and need to accommodate all three.

The uploaded pdf file shows the planned network configuration. Any advice on what will work in this plan and what may need to be changed is appreciated, as I am new to both MoCA and Home Plug devices. A few specific questions: First, is the distribution amp in the right location?; Second, is it correct to use a non-MoCA splitter for the phone modem and to place the POE filter after that first splitter?; Third, are the connections between the MoCA adapter, cable modem and Orbi router correct in order to route data to the MoCA network?

Thanks again for any assistance

Attachments

• Network - Planned.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 298
I don't understand your diagram. What is the difference between the "Phone Modem" and the "Cable Modem" ? Do you have (2) Cable Modems?

Other than that COAX leg, the rest looks good. However, why do you have an Amp? is that really required?

I don't understand your diagram. What is the difference between the "Phone Modem" and the "Cable Modem" ? Do you have (2) Cable Modems?

Other than that COAX leg, the rest looks good. However, why do you have an Amp? is that really required?

VoIP via broadband requires a modem or adapter or something. Usually the phone modem is combined with the cable modem, but doesn't have to be. In fact, it's a good idea to have them separate so that you can use the new DOCSIS releases as they become available, and just leave the VoIP phone modem alone.

Distribution amplifiers are generally put in by the cable companies at the cable POE to boost the cable signal coming in so that it can be split and the signals are still usable. We have a four-way splitter at our cable POE, with a unity gain amplified splitter. It was needed so that we had a strong enough signal on all the cable runs.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!