What's new

MoCa + streaming set top box output over coax

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agfinkel

New Around Here
Sorry in advance if this is as much an A/V question as a networking one. I just recently set up a MoCa network, and it got me to thinking about the possibilities of using coax for other purposes too. Attached is a rough diagram of my network (sorry for the hokey picture). I don't use cable TV (just internet) and I'm wondering if I could take the output of my BD3600 set top box and put it over coax on one of the TV channels so I could use it for the TV in the bedroom.

As far as I can understand that'd mean converting component to coax, and feeding it into a splitter in the media room (since the coax is already connected to the MoCa bridge). I'm not sure if that'd work, and how to decide what channel I could put it on. Additionally, even though I'm not using cable TV, I'm guessing I'm still getting the channels, so whatever I put on there would likely interfere. Am I on the right track? Any helpful hints as to whether this is possible and what hardware to use would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• network-map.jpg
    network-map.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 393
Sorry in advance if this is as much an A/V question as a networking one. I just recently set up a MoCa network, and it got me to thinking about the possibilities of using coax for other purposes too. Attached is a rough diagram of my network (sorry for the hokey picture). I don't use cable TV (just internet) and I'm wondering if I could take the output of my BD3600 set top box and put it over coax on one of the TV channels so I could use it for the TV in the bedroom.

As far as I can understand that'd mean converting component to coax, and feeding it into a splitter in the media room (since the coax is already connected to the MoCa bridge). I'm not sure if that'd work, and how to decide what channel I could put it on. Additionally, even though I'm not using cable TV, I'm guessing I'm still getting the channels, so whatever I put on there would likely interfere. Am I on the right track? Any helpful hints as to whether this is possible and what hardware to use would be greatly appreciated.

Should work using a RF modulator, something like this
Plug RCA A/V from BD3600 to RF Mod. and then output of that to co-ax splitter. In your bedroom use a splitter to connect MOCA bridge and TV.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!