What's new

MOCA streaming slower than 5ghz wifi streaming 4k.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yazyazoo

Occasional Visitor
I have had a MOCA system for over 5 years. It was great because I was finally able to stream 1080p to my kodi boxes and now FireTV and Shield.

However I just bought a 4k TV and have been trying to play 4k UHD files that are 45-60GB in size. I get buffering issues both on the FireTV and Shield hardwired. The Shield seems to play it better.

I then switched to 5ghz Wifi on my Asus AC68 router and play the files on both the Shield and the 4k Firestick (I have the ethernet adapter). The Shield buffers a lot less and is watchable except for scenes where there is a lot of movement (ie rain, fast running, etc). The 4k Firestick buffers a lot more.

My setup is Asus AC68u router to Netgear MCA1001 to 2 other Netgear MCA 1001 to 5 port gigabit switch in a bedroom and family room.

My MOCA is v1. I went to bestbuy to get some ActionTec bonded 2.0 MOCA to see if it made any difference. I still get buffering with the ActionTec.

Should MOCA v1.0 be able to handle a 4k stream?

What could be causing all these buffering issues?

THanks.

Is it a Sony TV?

I ran into problems streaming with Plex and Kodi on a Sony TV and it ended up being the 100mb Network Port on the TV was not up to the task.

The same file would play fine on a USB stick, or what ended up to being the permanent setup, a 10tb USB Drive. Except that SMB support on Android TV is spotty for moving new files on to the drive.

When the 4k Raspberry PI arrives, we're going to try it with Kodi again.

-KP

I think the Firestick 4k adapter is 100Mb and Moca 1 is limited to 100mb so eventhough the Shield is gigabit I wouldn't get gigabit speeds.

When I tried MOCA 2 adapters thought the shield did show 1000mbps but I still got buffering.

What speed is needed for smooth thoroughput for 4k UHD media?

are you streaming from a lan source or the internet ?

Does the TV tech manual state that the TV ethernet interface supports 4K 60Hz streaming ?

Since you have 3 Moca adapters, when you replaced the Netgear devices did you replace all three or just a pair ?
Was that segment of the cable isolated from the third adapter ?

MOCA has some latency. You can try ping tests to see.

100 Mbit should be high enough link rate. That is what is quoted for Netflix (25 Mbit/s and others.

Are you able to stream regular HD (1080) and SD without excessive buffering ?

I am streaming from a PC server that has gigabit ethernet to Asus AC68 gigabit router. These are 50-60gb UHD rips with Atmos.

Does the TV tech manual state that the TV ethernet interface supports 4K 60Hz streaming ? Not too sure abut the tv. It's a Vizio PQ65 F1. However I don't use the apps on VizioCast. Internet 4k streams fine which is really a lower quality than the rips I have. I either use a FireTV stick 4k with ethernet adapter or Nvidia Shield both with Kodi to play.

Since you have 3 Moca adapters, when you replaced the Netgear devices did you replace all three or just a pair ?

I bought two MOCA 2.0 adapters and I removed the power supply from my 3rd MOCA 1.0 adapter. So it was just a connection between the two.

How can I do this in Windows? Ping from Server to Client hooked up to the MOCA ethernet?

100 Mbit should be high enough link rate. That is what is quoted for Netflix (25 Mbit/s and others.

Yes I am able to play HD 1080p rips without buffering with my old MOCA 1.0 and over wifi also. I bought these MOCA years ago when my old Linksys WRT54g couldn't handle 720p and 1080p rips wirelessly. So the MOCA's have been great until I got my new 4k TV.

that TV has both wireless (N only) and wired.
Are you sure the streaming is going over wired ?
Try turning off the TV wireless and test.

I am streaming from a PC server that has gigabit ethernet to Asus AC68 gigabit router. These are 50-60gb UHD rips with Atmos.

>>>> are you streaming at native bitrate or compressed ?

Does the TV tech manual state that the TV ethernet interface supports 4K 60Hz streaming ? Not too sure abut the tv. It's a Vizio PQ65 F1. However I don't use the apps on VizioCast. Internet 4k streams fine which is really a lower quality than the rips I have. I either use a FireTV stick 4k with ethernet adapter or Nvidia Shield both with Kodi to play.

I bought two MOCA 2.0 adapters and I removed the power supply from my 3rd MOCA 1.0 adapter. So it was just a connection between the two.

>>> Go into diagnostic mode on the adapters and check what the link rate is synced at. There are posts here by Kaufmann on how to do that for the Actiontecs

How can I do this in Windows? Ping from Server to Client hooked up to the MOCA ethernet?

>>>
yes. that will give you an idea. The TV may be able to do a test as well.

Yes I am able to play HD 1080p rips without buffering with my old MOCA 1.0 and over wifi also. I bought these MOCA years ago when my old Linksys WRT54g couldn't handle 720p and 1080p rips wirelessly. So the MOCA's have been great until I got my new 4k TV.

>>> Further replies in the text above.

>>> you may have to use one of the std compression routines to drop the bitrate down in case you are saturating the link.
>>> If the video file is not compressed, the data rates are around 20 Gbit or higher.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!