What's new

MoCA + Time Warner Cable questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TC610

New Around Here
Hello,
I'm new to MoCA and Time Warner Cable, and I've tried to read as much as I can regarding MoCA before posting here.

I had TWC install a WH DVR system as part of a triple play package. I provided my own all-in-one cable modem/router (Netgear C3000), and they installed their Arris gateway and set it up so that it can only be used for my telephone service (Wi-Fi and Ethernet are disabled on it).

One thing everyone agrees on is installing a POE filter on the cable coming in to the house. I do not have one single cable coming in to my house. When my house was built, a cable outlet was installed in each room, and each cable meets in a home run in a plastic box mounted on the side of my house. TWC installed a powered amplifier/splitter (Antronix V900B) in the plastic box. I checked in the unlocked pedestal in my front yard and there is no POE filter there. I looked in the plastic box and there is no POE filter there either.

1) Should TWC have been responsible for installing a POE filter? Regardless, if I want to do it on my own, where should I install it? I don't think there's enough room in the box for me to install it.

When the TWC tech installed everything, he fed a cable in to my basement and connected that cable to a splitter (Commscope SV-2G) and connected the outputs to their Arris gateway and my Netgear cable modem. He said if I wanted to move the cable modem to a different room to improve, I can move the cable modem (and I *think* he said move the splitter with it) to anywhere else in the house. I decided to move it from the basement to the 2nd floor to improve wi-fi coverage where I need it. I moved the cable modem upstairs and I noticed almost immediately that our TV on the 1st floor started getting a poor signal from the cable box - the screen and audio froze quite a bit. When I connected the splitter in between the wall outlet and the cable modem, all of the TV issues cleared up.

2) Why on earth would putting a splitter in between the wall and modem in a room with no TV in it have any effect on my TV in a different room?

3) I'm considering getting an ActionTec MoCA Network adapter. I want to use it on an outlet with a cable box connected to it. I don't need the speeds provided with the bonded ECB6200, but as I do have a cable box connected on that outlet, am I better off spending the extra money for an ECB6200 so I can utilize the CATV passthru? Or will the ECB6000 and a splitter suffice?

4) I understand that if I want a MoCA to Ethernet adapter to work, I need to have more than one MoCA devices on my network. Can I assume that either the main DVR in my house and/or the extra cable box that I am able to play back recorded shows on will count as a MoCA devices so I'll only need to purchase 1 MoCA adapter?

5) When TWC installed everything, they used this Coax cable with a funky shield over each end of the coax cable attached to my cable modem (there's a "PPC" logo on it). Why?

Hello,
I'm new to MoCA and Time Warner Cable, and I've tried to read as much as I can regarding MoCA before posting here.

I had TWC install a WH DVR system as part of a triple play package. I provided my own all-in-one cable modem/router (Netgear C3000), and they installed their Arris gateway and set it up so that it can only be used for my telephone service (Wi-Fi and Ethernet are disabled on it).

One thing everyone agrees on is installing a POE filter on the cable coming in to the house. I do not have one single cable coming in to my house. When my house was built, a cable outlet was installed in each room, and each cable meets in a home run in a plastic box mounted on the side of my house. TWC installed a powered amplifier/splitter (Antronix V900B) in the plastic box. I checked in the unlocked pedestal in my front yard and there is no POE filter there. I looked in the plastic box and there is no POE filter there either.

1) Should TWC have been responsible for installing a POE filter? Regardless, if I want to do it on my own, where should I install it? I don't think there's enough room in the box for me to install it.

When the TWC tech installed everything, he fed a cable in to my basement and connected that cable to a splitter (Commscope SV-2G) and connected the outputs to their Arris gateway and my Netgear cable modem. He said if I wanted to move the cable modem to a different room to improve, I can move the cable modem (and I *think* he said move the splitter with it) to anywhere else in the house. I decided to move it from the basement to the 2nd floor to improve wi-fi coverage where I need it. I moved the cable modem upstairs and I noticed almost immediately that our TV on the 1st floor started getting a poor signal from the cable box - the screen and audio froze quite a bit. When I connected the splitter in between the wall outlet and the cable modem, all of the TV issues cleared up.

2) Why on earth would putting a splitter in between the wall and modem in a room with no TV in it have any effect on my TV in a different room?

3) I'm considering getting an ActionTec MoCA Network adapter. I want to use it on an outlet with a cable box connected to it. I don't need the speeds provided with the bonded ECB6200, but as I do have a cable box connected on that outlet, am I better off spending the extra money for an ECB6200 so I can utilize the CATV passthru? Or will the ECB6000 and a splitter suffice?

4) I understand that if I want a MoCA to Ethernet adapter to work, I need to have more than one MoCA devices on my network. Can I assume that either the main DVR in my house and/or the extra cable box that I am able to play back recorded shows on will count as a MoCA devices so I'll only need to purchase 1 MoCA adapter?

5) When TWC installed everything, they used this Coax cable with a funky shield over each end of the coax cable attached to my cable modem (there's a "PPC" logo on it). Why?

Any location where you need to convert from coax to ethernet will require a MOCA adapter. If you can get from one MOCA adapter location via Cat5e or wireless to the other location, you will not need an additional MOCA adapter. ActionTec makes a MOCA based wireless extender that seems to work well. Search the forum here for installation of this and with TWC.

Thanks
Any location where you need to convert from coax to ethernet will require a MOCA adapter. If you can get from one MOCA adapter location via Cat5e or wireless to the other location, you will not need an additional MOCA adapter. ActionTec makes a MOCA based wireless extender that seems to work well. Search the forum here for installation of this and with TWC.

Thanks for the info! I was also able to find the answers for #3 and #4 by searching in the forums. I found someone in the forums who had a similar question as I did for #1, but it was not answered. Should I just connect the POE filter to the cable running from the pedestal to the box on the side of my house, and connect the filter to the amplifier cable IN port?

Thanks

Thanks for the info! I was also able to find the answers for #3 and #4 by searching in the forums. I found someone in the forums who had a similar question as I did for #1, but it was not answered. Should I just connect the POE filter to the cable running from the pedestal to the box on the side of my house, and connect the filter to the amplifier cable IN port?
i don't know for sure as i have not dealt with cable co installs. However, that question has been answered in one of the "install with cable co box" threads.

See All -

TWC has already installed a filter for your home, it's in the ground where the line to your home connects to the main line. It is rare they install one at the junction box. If you're going to install one yourself, it should be on the single line that connects to your junction box splitter. That is the single line that runs into your home

The splitter used is more than like specific to filtering out voice data. The original placement enabled the data to be removed from the line before it entered the main coax network. By moving the device, you also need to remove the splitter.

All ECBs have a CATV passthrough. Even the old version 1.0 adapters provided an additional coax outlet for reconnecting other devices. Pick your ECB based on the speeds you need.

MoCA adapters do not require any additional MoCA enabled equipment to be in the house. To see a video with a full explanation click here.

It's more than likely a tamper prevention cover. PPC is just a brand.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!