What's new

MoCA with cable modem - internet only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ConfusedAboutMoca

New Around Here
Apologies if this is trivial, or has been discussed ad infinitum already. (I'm new here.)

I have Comcast internet, which comes in by coax into an SB6141 modem, which then has an ethernet hookup to an Apple TimeCapsule. I don't use any other services (no TV, phone, etc.).

I would like to use MoCA to extend the WiFi range to the second floor of my house. Does this seem doable, given my situation? I've heard some conflicting information, about DOCSIS modems maybe not playing very nicely with MoCA.

Assuming you think the setup would work, how would I add the MoCA kit? Could I run coax into the adapter, then out from the adapter to the modem, and then just add an extra ethernet cord from my router back to the MoCA adapter?

And how would things look on the second floor? Could I just plug in a second router (maybe an Airport Express) to the adapter, configured as an extender for the main router?

Many thanks for your advice.

Since you don't have CATV keep it simple and use your coaxial cables only for data.

Connect only the coaxial cable running into the house to your modem.

Connect the MOCA adapter nearest your modem to a coaxial drop/jack. Run an Ethernet cable from your router to the MOCA adapter and power up your MOCA adapter.

Find where the spliter is feeding the TV coaxial jacks in your home and if possible remove the spliter and using a barrel adapter connect the other end of the coaxial cable that you connected to your first MOCA adapter to the cable going to the room where you want to install the second router repurposed as an AP.

Then go to the room where the AP will be and connect your second MOCA adapter to the coaxial drop. Run an Ethernet cable from the MOCA adapter to a LAN port on the second router repurposed as an AP. Instructions on how to repurpose as a router as an AP are on this site.

You are good to go. If you can't or don't want to replace the splitter with a barrel connector than you will need to upgrade the spliter to one that can pass MOCA frequencies higher than 900 Mhz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!