What's new

Moca with unity gain amplifier/8 way splitter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swechsler

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I'm building a MOCA network with an existing PCT International unity gain amp, model PCT-VC-9U (all room drops are home-run to this 8 way splitter). The docs for the amp don't mention MOCA at all (the data sheet is here). I've read the MOCA best practices sheet and it seems to say that this is the best method, but I'm unclear if this splitter is MOCA compatible. Current installation doesn't use MOCA at all, just Cisco DTAs (which I'm getting rid of) in each room. Can anyone figure it out?

Thanks!

Thanks, but as mentioned in my OP, I've already read that. I'm mostly trying to figure out if my amp is compatible with MOCA.

If you compare the MOCA 2 specs for freq range and the distribution amp specs, then no it is not. It is not bidirectional either with 18dB of loss in the reverse direction. You need a MOCA 2 specified bidirectional amp/splitter. You may also need a MOCA blocking filter upstream of the new amp/splitter.

existing PCT International unity gain amp, model PCT-VC-9U (all room drops are home-run to this 8 way splitter). The docs for the amp don't mention MOCA at all (the data sheet is here).
I'm mostly trying to figure out if my amp is compatible with MOCA.
"Compatible" is interpreted differently by different people. MoCA may be able to pass between that amp's amplified output ports (much less likely to/from the passive output port), but amps designed for MoCA will include a built-in MoCA filter and more advanced amps will ensure MoCA connectivity between the amplified output ports and the passive output port, as well.

Alternative examples:
https://www.pctstore.com/RF_Amplifiers_MoCA_Bypass_Amplifier_s/55.htm
https://www.antronix.com/products/residential-amplifiers/moca.aspx
https://www.antronix.com/qr-details/

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, luckily Amazon has a decent selection of MOCA-compatible amps/splitters and I've ordered this one.

71UDvjcGm2L._SL1500_.jpg

Interesting that your new amplified MoCA splitter is quoted to have the frequency range:
  • Operating frequency band: 54 - 1002 MHz.
in the text about it, which is MoCA 1.1, while in the picture it shows 1125 - 1675MHz., which is MoCA 2.0.

If you get the one in the picture, it should work fine for you *smile*. Hopefully, they just forgot to update the text, and the ones that they're shipping are MoCA 2.0.

Enjoy!

I think the operating band refers to the frequencies affected by the amplifier (that would be the incoming/outgoing signals rather than the MOCA signals). At any rate, I found a PCT MOCA splitter/amp on eBay which has the same form factor as my existing splitter, so I won't have to worry about any paint touchup (and it's also cheaper), so I've decided to cancel the Commscope.

Yes, those are for the amplifier in the specific bands only. The MOCA band is passed not amplified. Let's hope they send you the one pictured.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!