What's new

MoCA2.5 adapters is coming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Liuzhe

Occasional Visitor
Hi, we are studying the market of MoCA ethernet adapter. Looks like only very few vendors are supplying MoCA ethernet adapters, such as Actiontec, Motorola and Tivo. Now all the products are based on MoCA 2.0, and the Price is too high. For example, a couple of MoCA 2.0 adapters can be high to $168, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0/?tag=snbforums-20.
Now the new generation of MoCA, MoCA2.5 appears. For MoCA2.5, it can reach 2.5Gbps for the coax network. If you put 4 adapters in your house, they will share the 2.5Gbps bandwidth. For bonded MoCA2.0, it only provide 1Gbps bandwidth. So from MoCA2.0 to MoCA2.5, it is a great achievement.
We are wondering, if we build MoCA2.5 adapter and try to limit the price to less than $120 one couple, is anybody interested in it?
Thanks for your comments.

It seems clear from the other thread on MoCA 2.5 that knowledgeable people would love to have access to MoCA 2.5 technology.

I just recently purchased two MoCA 2.0 adapters and they are meeting my needs so I probably would not replace them with MoCA 2.5 any time soon.

Last edited:
Hi, we are studying the market of MoCA ethernet adapter. Looks like only very few vendors are supplying MoCA ethernet adapters, such as Actiontec, Motorola and Tivo. Now all the products are based on MoCA 2.0, and the Price is too high. For example, a couple of MoCA 2.0 adapters can be high to $168, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0/?tag=snbforums-20.
Now the new generation of MoCA, MoCA2.5 appears. For MoCA2.5, it can reach 2.5Gbps for the coax network. If you put 4 adapters in your house, they will share the 2.5Gbps bandwidth. For bonded MoCA2.0, it only provide 1Gbps bandwidth. So from MoCA2.0 to MoCA2.5, it is a great achievement.
We are wondering, if we build MoCA2.5 adapter and try to limit the price to less than $120 one couple, is anybody interested in it?
Thanks for your comments.
Yes. I have been looking for quite some time. I actually just gave up and bought a pair of bonded 2.0 adapters, but I could be persuaded to upgrade for a good product.

Thanks for your feedback. It is very near to the Chinese New Year. The workers are coming back to their home.
We have a little bit delay.
Don't worry, we will try our best to release it ASAP.

In Singapore and I am sure a lot of people here would be interested. Lots of fibre installs with legacy coax sitting in the walls doing nothing and saturated WiFi spectrums. Please let me know when you have availability and pricing.

Always great to have new products, especially moca 2.5. Will you be building the Ethernet side to them to be Nbase-T compliance for 2.5G/5G Ethernet?

And remember that these need to actually work or people will just go with the existing moca 2.0 products that are proven to work.

I just saw this thread while doing my half-yearly search for MoCA 2.5 adapters, and went to the domain for that email that was provided by Liuzhe, and it looks like these are actually available now.

https://www.gocoax.com/product-page/wf803m

There's a reddit thread with the announcement. It looks like some people have done testing with good results, although one redditor didn't get great speeds. They're in the process of testing / confirming it sounds like.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/bpob7v/moca_25_adapters_are_ready/

I checked out the reddit thread and looks like people are pretty happy with it even though the performance is the exact same as I've been getting with our actiontec 2.0 units.

I hope this is updated to a 1g/2.5g ethernet port--then it will be the fastest thing, period!

I checked out the reddit thread and looks like people are pretty happy with it even though the performance is the exact same as I've been getting with our actiontec 2.0 units.

I hope this is updated to a 1g/2.5g ethernet port--then it will be the fastest thing, period!

Their tests did not reflect the actual performance. For one directional iperf test, the result is very near to 1Gbps, almost same as Actiontec 2.0 units. But our product can support bi-directional 1Gbps performance. You should do the bi-directional iperf test.

We know many people want 2.5GbE ethernet port. It is not reasonable.
First, for most cases, the Home router, PC, Set top box, they are using 1GbE port.
Next, The 2.5Gbps bandwidth is shared all the devices in the same network. For each device, the bandwidth normally is less than 2Gbps(Tx+Rx), so 1GbE port is enough.
The last, if we upgrade to 2.5GbE, the cost will rise a lot. That is not cost effective.

Their tests did not reflect the actual performance. For one directional iperf test, the result is very near to 1Gbps, almost same as Actiontec 2.0 units. But our product can support bi-directional 1Gbps performance. You should do the bi-directional iperf test.

We know many people want 2.5GbE ethernet port. It is not reasonable.
First, for most cases, the Home router, PC, Set top box, they are using 1GbE port.
Next, The 2.5Gbps bandwidth is shared all the devices in the same network. For each device, the bandwidth normally is less than 2Gbps(Tx+Rx), so 1GbE port is enough.
The last, if we upgrade to 2.5GbE, the cost will rise a lot. That is not cost effective.
Yes, the true value in 2.5 is the enhanced bandwidth to support multiple 1gb transfers at full speed. Much how like a switch is faster than a hub because of the increased available bandwidth. However, most people won't have setups to fully test that as you would need to run 3+ iperf tests in comparison with the same tests on 2.0 to see the difference.

While the 2.5G port may not be feasible for the existing consumer customer base, it opens up the doors to use in specific scenarios where cost is not an object such as bringing as much bandwidth as possible to a particular point over existing wiring. In this market, your product would be the only solution to be able to deliver more than 1G without fibre. I don't think you realize how huge that is. Fibre optic solutions almost always entail costly new wiring and new infrastructure, which a 2.5G moca 2.5 unit could completely avoid that saving hundreds of dollars per installation. Something to consider for a secondary product (based on your first) that does offer 2.5GbE, even if at a substantially higher cost.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!